Topic Sponsor

'90 302 Knocking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '90 302 Knocking Sound

Okay, so I'm kinda baffled at this experience now. I own a '90 F150 with a 302 w/ only 67k miles on it. All original. Okay, oil was changed maybe 2,000 miles ago max. On my way to school I was on the highway, motor was at normal operating temperature, was in slow lane coming up to a guy going 65, so I slowed down and when I went to pass him I got into it and swung around, tranny kicked out of OD and motor revved up. When I let off I heard 'tap tap tap tap tap' coming from the engine. I also had a good loss of power.

Slowing down to 65 to get off the ramp so I can get to school if I even tapped the gas the truck chugged and shaked pretty violently. I babied it all the way to school and the farther I went the more power it lost. It's parked at the school right now, going to be towed home. Any ideas what could be wrong? Motor is shaking a whole bunch too, like it feels like someone is pushing on the outside of my truck at idle. It goes louder with rpm, and is very noticeable at idle. Any ideas are welcome!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 PM

So I found out the problem with the motor a little while ago. Seems like piston on the left, closest to driver's side cab decided to grenade. Talking to local junkyards this is a very common problem for my model year. Oh well. Bought a full '01 Explorer 302 with Intake, TB, everything for $500 after taxes. Going to be selling the intake, TB, and most likely fuel rail and injectors off of it in the near future. Just figured I'd let you guys know what the cause of my knocking was....

P.S. Don't know if I should make another thread or not, but does anyone know if the stock explorer exhaust manifolds will bolt to my truck's stock y-pipe?

Last edited by DeahlSC; 04-07-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Shadow_Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same thing happen to me. Was driving home and all of a sudden lost power and my steering wheel was shaking so bad I almost lost control. When i tore the engine apart I realized the rod bearings were shot and the same piston you mentioned had already been replaced :o Currently working on putting a new 302 in
Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Yeah, what a shame the motor blew. Everything on my truck is pristine, and original but now my motor won't be. Sucks I'm putting in a motor with twice the miles of my original too... should be a huge power increase though.

How many miles did yours have on it?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Shadow_Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had about 135k on the old one, new one is rebuilt. Picked it up online with a 3 year warranty for 1300 with shipping.

Quick Reply: '90 302 Knocking Sound