Topic Sponsor

78 400m fires but wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 78 400m fires but wont stay running

Hey there, I have a 1978 F150 with a 400m in it. The other day I was driving it around and hit a pretty large puddle of water, which I didnt know it was that deep. The truck started running a little rough and died sometimes but started right up when it died. I let it sit for an hour or too and tried to start it and it wouldnt fire at all (maybe once out of like 45 mins trying). The next day I took my Edelbrock carb off and cleaned ot out thinking maybe something got in it, checked the fuel filter thats fine, its getting plenty of gas, new plugs and distributer cap. Now when I try to start it it fires perfectly every time I crank it over but it will not stay running after that. Note: the engine was just rebuilt last year and also sometimes when I crank it over for a bit and let it sit it seems like I can smell a faint burning smell coming from inside the cab. Any ideas?????????Thanks
Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check the fuel pump.. My 400m would start then run for a few seconds and shut off then I replaced the fuel pump and ran great
Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

check for spark from the coil then from the plugs. hitting a big puddle may have splashed up Into some of the electrical under hood.

Quick Reply: 78 400m fires but wont stay running