Topic Sponsor

5 speed 302 EFI to 351w EFI

Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 AM
Ford Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5 speed 302 EFI to 351w EFI

First off, this will be my first venture into the Ford world. I am mechanically inclined, but sometimes technical terms and phrases surpass me, as most of my experience is with old BMW's and modern fighter jet-engines.

Ok, now my dilemma... I've got a 93 F150 with a 302 and 5 speed manual tranny. I've lost compression on the #8 cyl (only holding about #20 psi). Wet test tells that the issue is with the head/valves. I don't really have time to pull the 302 and rebuild it though. The Ford is my DD, since my garage is filled with a blown old school BMW engine and rolling shell. My goal is to get a 351w and swap in during a weekend. I don't mind throwing a rebuild kit at the 351w, as long as the 302 can hold out for the parts/kit to get here (Alaska...). Not looking at anything too crazy. Local machine shop recommended against raising the compression at all in a truck not meant for racing. But would there be any gains from larger valves (if it's even possible without modding the pistons) or a mean cam? Any suggestions while I have the 351w torn apart would be great. Kits I'm looking at have all new seals/gaskets, pistons, rod and main bearings, cam bearing, blah blah.

So far, what I have gathered (every swap I've read about was different than mine) since I have the 5 speed, I don't need to worry about the whole flex plate issue. Just slap the 302 flywheel on, and the 5 speed should bolt right up? I imagine I'll need the 302 starter if the 351w is an auto... I'll also be getting the computer with the 351w, but is there anything else besides the computer and intake/exhaust manifold that I need to make sure I get from the donor truck? The 351 should be coming with injectors and rails, but if not, are those the same? What else should I keep from the 302, including the alternator, PS pump...??

Again, thanks for any advice you can give me. I'm sure this topic has been beaten worse than a dead horse time and time again, I just couldn't find an exact topic like mine, and I only have one weekend's shot at getting it running with the 351w in it after pulling the 302.

---Kaleb
Old 11-02-2013, 11:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Swapping a 351w with that **** hole Mazda 5.. Get ready to rebuild/replace that trans a few times..

If not wanting to swap heads.. Stay stock everything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 speed 302 EFI to 351w EFI