Topic Sponsor

5.0 HO questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 HO questions

I have a 93 with a 5.0 HO.

1. My high idle is not shutting off after getting to temp. Im guess that the high idle is suppose to shut off when the truck reaches about 130-140 degrees. This is not happening. What could be causing this?

2. What temp is a 302 suppose to run at. I'm running about 185. I know older fsb run in that temp region. Does this hold true with the newer blocks also?

Any help/info is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

The temperatures are 192-195.

Did you just complete the install or did it just start doing this all of a sudden?

Also, did you check for codes?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 PM

Ok, the truck hits about 195 then the t-stat opens and it drops about 7 degrees.

I just bought the truck, and have only been driving it for a couple of days. I haven't gotten to pull the code yet, it is a one time type code, so it resets when the truck gets turned off. This afternoon I was sitting at idle for a while and it kicked off, but that's the only time it has shut off in the past couple of days.

Its -10F at my house at the moment so i'll try and get the code tomorrow.

Last edited by Sarge mtu; 01-16-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 PM

Ran the codes this weekend, they were all for an auto trans, turns out the computer in it is is for an auto.

My high idle is still not right, but is kicking off part of the time now. Any ideas?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like the idle control valve. very easy and cheap fix. had this happen to me last year. simple simple...cheap cheap.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by mrslyfox
sounds like the idle control valve. very easy and cheap fix. had this happen to me last year. simple simple...cheap cheap.
yeah, thats, what Im thinking. There is a little play in my throttle cable too.

Unfortunately I was pulling my friend out of a snow bank the other day and blew out my oil pan gasket and the dipstick tube seal. Towed it to my buddy's shop and put it on the lift.

So, Im too low in the money department right now. The oil line going to my oil pressure gauge is leaking a little too.

Oh well, a lot easier to work on than my old subaru.
Attached Thumbnails 5.0 HO questions-dscn1433.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all of that doesn't sound too bad...replacing the oil pan gasket is a pain though. have to lift the engine.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 PM

Well, I thought it was the rear main because of the way that the oil blew out, so I dropped the trans so I got to the pan from the back, dropped it open pulled the pick up and pulled it all out. Fortunately it was on the lift and it was warm.

If I had done it on the ground in my garage (I live really north in Michigan's UP) I probably would have burned the truck to the ground but...

Quick Reply: 5.0 HO questions