Topic Sponsor

351 Remanufactured Jasper crankshaft alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 351 Remanufactured Jasper crankshaft alignment issues

I have a newly installed Jasper remanufactured 351 windsor in my 87 F150, fully carbureted. The engine runs great, but... there seems to be an alignment issue with the transmission. I have a rebuilt (original), C6 transmission and I've burned out two transmission pump bearings in succession within a few miles of driving/testing it. The pins are aligned and the converter is not binding on the flex plat (new as well- and not warped).

what could be the problem? Mechanic thinks its the transmission and Transmission guy thinks its the engine- not surprisingly.

Mechanic thinks the transmission got overheated when previous engine blew up and as a result is warped. Transmission Guy thinks the crankshaft bearings are not correct and crankshaft sits too high.

Jasper says to check end-play, but transmission guy thinks the way the bearing is burning up is not about end-play pressure on pump, but rather concentric issue.

One thing: the new belts are tight, but regardless, when truck is traveling greater than 45-55 the belts squeal terribly and continually, also on sudden and aggressive acceleration. Before 2nd pump failed the belts would squeal every time the transmission shifted, regardless of speed or acceleration.

I'm a novice and not a mechanic, but I wonder if too much end-play would cause the belts to squeak because the main pulley moves out of parallel with the other belt driven elements as they are 'fixed' to the engine while the crankshaft moves aft on high speeds and acceleration.

thoughts? advice? help?
Old 05-05-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Sounds like a thrust bearing issue. (engine)

I deal with Jasper engines and I don't have much good to say about them. They cheap out on the basics.

We have engines in our fleet with less than 1000 miles on them that guzzle oil.

Jasper in my experience with them has been the engine/trans supplier quality equivalent to Walmart.

Last edited by RLXXI; 05-05-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:19 PM

Default here is what Jasper is suggesting-

thanks for the reply. talked to Jasper, they want me to replace the dowel pins for the bell-housing. they think they are not correct or that the transmission holes are oblonged. So we'll start there with my fingers crossed. the engine is strong and runs great... wish I could say the same for the transmission connection.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:07 PM

Random question Anyone on here know if a 1982 351W will work for a 1995 F150(has a 351W in it already). I didn't know if the blocks were different designed in between the years or not.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

depends on if you are going to transfer the EFI from one block to the other or convert completely to carbed. would be easier to convert to new ignition system to support the carb on the older engine if you toss it in there. otherwise all the mount/bellhousing etc should be a swap

Quick Reply: 351 Remanufactured Jasper crankshaft alignment issues