Topic Sponsor

1996 f150 MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1996 f150 MAF?

hey guys, so my 1996 f150 is off the road, time to start the build. i just had one quick question that after searching has left me confused. i am going from a 302 to a 351w, and i want to do heads cam and intake and injectors to feed all the extra air on the 351 before i drop it in to give it some extra kick because everyone knows they never really breathed well. my question lies in the MAF. now my truck is MAF because its a 1996 with OBDII correct? so this means i can do this work to the 351w and i can just get the computer tuned and it will be fine? i haven't dealt with an EFI build before so im just not sure. i know [MENTION=26898]cal[/MENTION]lmesean will probably be able to help me on this one! that is if he sees it.

Let me know guys.

Thanks,
Zac Olson
Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Fordaholic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like you're right on with it all. The obdII can have new tunes flashed to it, and that's cool! I just got done doing a bunch of research because I'm converting my 351 to MAF using a computer etc from a 302 truck that has a simular setup.
A couple things I kept coming across was to use a MAF meter from a Lincoln markVIII, and a wideband O2. I'll be getting a tuner, and the software for it so I can learn how to make my own adjustments.
Good luck! I know I'm stoked to get rolling!

Last edited by Atomic Monkey; 04-19-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM

sorry i haven't replied for a while, been very busy for the past few days here between work and a college paper (shoot me now kinda deal). But anyway i was also wondering if the 302 computer is compatible with the 351? also like all the injector wiring and such
Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Fordaholic

I'm going off of memory, and I've worked on so many different vehicles they blend together once in awhile. All the wiring and sensors would have to be swapped over to the 351. The 351 and 302 are almost identical, so swapping the stuff shouldn't be a big deal.
If I remember right obdII is all EDIS. If it is then you'll need the cam sensor for a 351, which will most likely have the gear for a roller cam. If your 351 doesn't have a roller cam, I would take that setup from the 302, you'll need pushrods. Pay attention to the heads on the 302 to see if is has the GT40-P heads. Those are supposed to be the best production heads. To use them you might have to drill out the holes for the head bolts.
Other things that might be different are the flywheel/flexplate because of the counter weight, and then the balancer because of the trigger wheel, and counter balance. The 351 is taller and wider, so you'll need the EFI intake for it, and some adjustments to the exhaust to use the 302 manifolds, but that's pretty much the extent of the physical differences.
The goal is to make the computer think its still running the 5.0. From all the research I did with my project, the 5.0 computer will run the 351 just fine without having to retune.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Monkey
Other things that might be different are the flywheel/flexplate because of the counter weight, and then the balancer because of the trigger wheel, and counter balance. The 351 is taller and wider, so you'll need the EFI intake for it, and some adjustments to the exhaust to use the 302 manifolds, but that's pretty much the extent of the physical differences.
The goal is to make the computer think its still running the 5.0. From all the research I did with my project, the 5.0 computer will run the 351 just fine without having to retune.
see im not worried about the intake and exhaust because i plan on doing long tubes, and probably the edelbrock upper and lower intake. For heads im probably going to stay steal, possibly new GT-40s or something along those lines. for cam probably do something by comp, that has decent low end power (as much as i want a nasty lopey cam i need to be able to drive the damn thing) and 1.6 or 1.7 roller rockers
Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 AM

oh andddd i want to run a 6 speed manual in it so im not reusing the M5R2. gonna put a 6 speed, with 5 and 6 both being over drive gears so when i got to the Adirondacks nationals in Lake George NY i can cruise down the highway with no problem because ill probably run 3.73s or 4.10s
Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Fordaholic

Geez... so where do you hide your money tree??? Lol!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 PM

hahaha i have several coin jars throughout the house but its going to be a slow process. motor first, then probably rear end, then tranny/clutch. my guess is itll take like 2 years to finish at the rate i have money coming in. i just have so much into the truck already since i bought it (granted its also my first vehicle ever) it just would not be worth it to me to sell it. So hey might as well make it nice again considering here in new england a 1996 f150 2WD with almost 200k miles is only like 1500-2000. no thanks i'd rather throw money into it

Quick Reply: 1996 f150 MAF?