Topic Sponsor

1995 302 maf to 351 sd engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 302 maf to 351 sd engine swap

So I'll get straight to the point, I've got a '95 302 maf 4x4 auto with engine issues. I'm pretty sure it jumped time and I don't feel like fixing it because it's got 220k on it, doesn't have the grunt I need/ want and I have a complete '95 parts truck with a good 140k mile 351 in it. Problem- the 302 is maf and the 351 is sd, now I'm not too concerned with performance mods on this thing since it's primarily my dd and if I ever exceed the capabilities of a sd system I'll carb it. So my question is this: what will be the easiest/ simplest way to get the 351 in my truck and running well? Will it hook up to my maf harness (minus the maf sensor of course) and I can just use the computer from the parts truck? Can I keep my computer and just use my airbox with the maf sensor in it and have a maf 351? I need a simple solution because I don't have the time or facility to do it myself so I'll probably pay a local guy to swap it for me. Sorry for the long post guys, thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Same firing order, so the MAF would theoretically work on it with the 302 computer. Problem is the engine wiring harness might not be wide enough for the 351.
Just plugging in the 351 engine harness would possibly involve some rewiring, which could get pretty involved.
Either way, they're 2 different engine management systems, I don't see it being plug and play.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Same firing order, so the MAF would theoretically work on it with the 302 computer. Problem is the engine wiring harness might not be wide enough for the 351.
Just plugging in the 351 engine harness would possibly involve some rewiring, which could get pretty involved.
Either way, they're 2 different engine management systems, I don't see it being plug and play.
I'm going to have to get some rough measurements and see just how much larger the 351 really is. If the wiring harness will fit do you think I'll need a custom tune to run the 351 to it's full capacity? I know that MAF is good at compensating for performance parts that increase flow through the engine, I wonder if it would compensate far enough that I wouldn't have to worry about it.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:56 PM

Well it's a moot point now, I'm going to trade the 351 to a buddy for a 300 with an M5OD behind it. Can't wait.

Quick Reply: 1995 302 maf to 351 sd engine swap