Topic Sponsor

1994 V8 check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 V8 check engine light

My 302 automatic check engine light comes on after driving about 1/2 to 1 miles, cold or hot. I can stop the truck and start it up again and it's off, but comes on again after 1/2 mile. Any ideas before I get into the codes?
Thanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been having the same problem, I just haven't had time to hook it up to the scanner.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by magnumea
My 302 automatic check engine light comes on after driving about 1/2 to 1 miles, cold or hot. I can stop the truck and start it up again and it's off, but comes on again after 1/2 mile. Any ideas before I get into the codes?
Thanks.
Without ANY other information, no. Just pull the codes. Unless you have other symptoms to ask about, the only reasonable response to "my CEL is on" is to pull codes.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:58 PM

I thought it was odd that the light comes on always after a short drive instead of staying on all of the time or intermittently, and reasonably it might be a common problem. Guess not.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by magnumea
I thought it was odd that the light comes on always after a short drive instead of staying on all of the time or intermittently, and reasonably it might be a common problem. Guess not.
Its a common INDICATOR OF a problem, that's sort of its job. Its the dummy light, to let the driver know "hey, I'm having some issues. You should pull my codes." There can still be codes without the light on though, which is why the first piece of advice given to people that come here with issues is to pull codes, light or not. I don't know what you expected to hear basically just asking "my CEL is on, what is wrong". Just pull codes and get back to us with an update on them, not just code numbers and asking what the number means.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Austinn54

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen but I ignored it for a few weeks. eventually, the cel stayed on. I lost power and heard pings. First thought? IAC valve. Replaced it. it may be your problem too.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:47 PM

It was the EGR. I thought it might be, since it was OK when it started, but when it called for the EGR to activate, it didn't and the light came on. It read code 332, and I took the EGR valve off and it was stuck closed. It should move with finger pressure on it. Loosened it up, shot some Blaster on it, and it's good to go, now. But, thanks. I saw where someone else said the orifice into the intake on theirs was clogged and wouldn't pass the gas. Remember when Ford introduced the EGR into a plate under the carb along with the PCV and the hot gas and oily vapor would combine and clog the plate with carbon?

Quick Reply: 1994 V8 check engine light