Topic Sponsor

1992 EFI 302 rebuild with RV cam no start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy 1992 EFI 302 rebuild with RV cam no start.

Good Morning Team- I've owned my 1992 F150 for 4 years now and love my beast. Rebuilt tranny (auto) and now I have a rebuilt engine in it. I put a stage two grinded RV cam in the enigine from Colt cams in Vancouver BC, so that I didn't need to put any computer upgrades in the truck for timing. It's all hooked up and timing has been set to ten degree advance and replaced the spout connector. fuel pressure is great at 40 PSI and the check Valve is working. Last week I had it running (Like ****) and drove it around the block. Last monday I started, drove it onto the Lift and shut it off. The engine I used was a 1996, I think OBD 2 (My truck is OBD1).I used the intake manifold from the original engine and used the firing order from a 1996 f150 because I think there are slight differences in the crank.
Problems:
- Since driving it onto the lift, CANNOT GET IT STARTED anymore (may be a vaccum or fire issue, however, I put the timing gun around #5 plug wire and the light was coming on and off with every fire)
- Once I got all the plumbing and accessories on the engine, there is a spare hole/port in my intake, not sure what goes in it. Cannot find anything that would go. There is a total of three ports all of which are on the driver side, two I have sensors in. I'm stumped.

Any experience or help would be greatly appreciated as I have almost ran out of ideas.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The difference is in the cam on a 96 motor - that gives it the 302HO firing order, which is the same as the 351.
The cranks are exactly the same.
The cam you bought will determine your firing order. So you have to wire your plugs according to the cam, not the year of the engine.
So where exactly is this port on the intake you're not sure of ?
If you can post a picture, that would really help in figuring out what's going on with that.
The following users liked this post:
cc4nn (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
The difference is in the cam on a 96 motor - that gives it the 302HO firing order, which is the same as the 351.
The cranks are exactly the same.
The cam you bought will determine your firing order. So you have to wire your plugs according to the cam, not the year of the engine.
So where exactly is this port on the intake you're not sure of ?
If you can post a picture, that would really help in figuring out what's going on with that.
As soon as I get to the truck I will snap photos of the intake manifold and so you have a better idea. As for the cam.... It's the same cam from the 96 engine. I had it grounded to give me more bottom end and used the firing order for a 96. Does that sound correct?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:31 AM

Yes. If it's a 96 motor it'll be a 302HO (roller cam) engine. That takes the HO firing order which is the same as the 351w.
That's if you used the actual cam out of the 96 engine and had it reground. If you bought a new cam you should check with the supplier to make sure of the firing order.
And just in case the 96 didn't have it's original 96 motor - that can happen - the 302HO has roller lifters with little dogbones to keep them aligned and a "spider" plate in the lifter valley to hold the dogbones in place. Does that sound familiar ?

Last edited by Chris_1; 01-15-2015 at 08:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cc4nn (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 01:52 PM

Yes. If it's a 96 motor it'll be a 302HO (roller cam) engine. That takes the HO firing order which is the same as the 351w.
That's if you used the actual cam out of the 96 engine and had it reground. If you bought a new cam you should check with the supplier to make sure of the firing order.
And just in case the 96 didn't have it's original 96 motor - that can happen - the 302HO has roller lifters with little dogbones to keep them aligned and a "spider" plate in the lifter valley to hold the dogbones in place. Does that sound familiar ?
Yes it does! I pulled the cam out of the 96 and had it grinded and then put it back in. I'm heading to the garage tonight to take pictures, FYI.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:55 PM

Default Photo's of the three ports in my intake manifold

SO! I got the photo's of my intake. I have numbered the unknown holes/port: one to three. For number one, I couldn't figure out what went in the hole/port so i plugged it with a bolt until I figure it out. Number 2, is a sensor of some sort, I think this sensor goes in the number 1 hole/port, however i am not positive, if so I do not know what goes in hole/port number two. And number three hole/ port, I am pretty sure its correct with the right sensor. This is the intake manifold off my 92 engine, which i needed because the truck is OBD1...and so is the manifold. The engine i replaced my original with is the 96 and again that manifold was i think OBD2.

First photo of 5...took an over all photo to give you the general area of where the concern is

a more zoomed in photo of the three holes/ports....I have sensors in 2 of the three holes, not necessarily in the right place

hole/port number one<br/>i put a random bolt in it to prevent vacuum leaks so i could get it started...won't start. We are going to do a compression test Saturday to see if I dropped a rocker arm. Either way, not sure what goes in this first port.

Second hole/port<br/>I have a sensor in this one, however not 100% if it belongs there

third hole/port:<br/>I am pretty sure this is the only one I have right. I think its a temp sensor of some sort.

-Again, any help is greatly appreciated, I started this rebuild last august and am almost at the end of my rope with this one. I've spent the last 2 weeks trouble shooting to no avail. I am hoping I can sort this minor problem out in the mean time to cross one less thing off the list.

Best regards,

Christopher.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:33 AM

#1 is the location for a knock sensor, but I think they only came on 351's so a plug would seem correct there.
#2 is the air charge sensor, which tells the computer the temperature of the air so it can figure out how much air is going into the motor based on engine speed (speed density).
#3 is the temp sender - that sends the signal to the gauge on the dash, so that's correct and has nothing to do with anything else.
The other thing that should be plugged in is the engine temperature sensor (ECT) at the front passenger side near the thermostat housing.

I don't see anything that would stop the motor from running other than the air charge sensors I've seen are black plastic and yours looks to be brass, but maybe that's how it came. Double check that - I don't see anything else obvious.

Back to basics - start at the initial compression stroke to 10 deg before TDC, check the rotor is pointing at #1 on the cap, check the firing order.
Also make sure you follow the Ford instructions for spark plug wire routing to avoid cross fire.
If that gets you nowhere, you'll need a multimeter to check voltage at all your little electrical components and do all the basics - check fuel pressure 30 to 45 psi, check for spark, check all connections are plugged in properly etc.
What else would be left after all that ? Timing chain / gear placement ? Obviously you'll want to make sure you check everything external first, as much as a pain as that is.
Obviously if you rebuilt that engine and put it in, this isn't your first rodeo. I just put down everything I could think of.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 AM

#1 is the location for a knock sensor, but I think they only came on 351's so a plug would seem correct there.
#2 is the air charge sensor, which tells the computer the temperature of the air so it can figure out how much air is going into the motor based on engine speed (speed density).
#3 is the temp sender - that sends the signal to the gauge on the dash, so that's correct and has nothing to do with anything else.
The other thing that should be plugged in is the engine temperature sensor (ECT) at the front passenger side near the thermostat housing.

I don't see anything that would stop the motor from running other than the air charge sensors I've seen are black plastic and yours looks to be brass, but maybe that's how it came. Double check that - I don't see anything else obvious.

Back to basics - start at the initial compression stroke to 10 deg before TDC, check the rotor is pointing at #1 on the cap, check the firing order.
Also make sure you follow the Ford instructions for spark plug wire routing to avoid cross fire.
If that gets you nowhere, you'll need a multimeter to check voltage at all your little electrical components and do all the basics - check fuel pressure 30 to 45 psi, check for spark, check all connections are plugged in properly etc.
What else would be left after all that ? Timing chain / gear placement ? Obviously you'll want to make sure you check everything external first, as much as a pain as that is.
Obviously if you rebuilt that engine and put it in, this isn't your first rodeo. I just put down everything I could think of.
My knock sensor is at the back of the engine behind the upper plenum and is attached to the block not the intake. I am certain of this because I had knock in my previous engine which I replaced. Therefore I am still missing something...

As for getting the engine started your right, all those basic things are what I need to go over. I have been jumping around and have not gone system by system checking. I definitely think there is cross fire where I just mashed the wiring in to try and get some rpm as quick as possible. The missing sensor/item in the intake is really bothering me for some reason, lol anyways...
Old 01-16-2015, 04:59 PM

Dug around a bit re that mystery port. From what i can figure, that's where Ford used to put the knock sensor in the mid '80s. Before they moved it back where yours is.
For what it's worth my 96 engine has a built up spot there where it used to be - it's just a circular bump without a threaded hole.
My son has a '92, but it's not here. If it shows up any time soon, I'll have a peek under the hood.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:35 PM

Dug around a bit re that mystery port. From what i can figure, that's where Ford used to put the knock sensor in the mid '80s. Before they moved it back where yours is.
For what it's worth my 96 engine has a built up spot there where it used to be - it's just a circular bump without a threaded hole.
My son has a '92, but it's not here. If it shows up any time soon, I'll have a peek under the hood.
I would really appreciate you taking the time to peek at your sons engine. We have the same manifold. I'm heading to the shop tomorrow to trouble shoot, with me luck!

Quick Reply: 1992 EFI 302 rebuild with RV cam no start.