Topic Sponsor

1991 5.0 EFI cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1991 5.0 EFI cranks but won't start

I posted this in the Maintenance forum and didn't get any responses, maybe here.
I haven't started this truck since last fall when it started and ran well. Yesterday I tried to start it and it turned over like it was supposed to but it never fired. I cranked it until the battery started to fade. I have to work on this myself and I'm not much of a mechanic. I have a remote starter switch. What do I hook it up to? What do I check first? How do I read the codes or will that help. I did add a couple of gallons of gas to the front tank. There's a note on the tank switch to only use front tank and it's taped to the front position (I think).
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

As a general rule, if you have spark and fuel, the engine should start. If you have a timing light you can check for spark. If no timing light, pull a plug wire; place the wire next to a metal like the engine block, or frame where you will get a good ground; have someone turn over the engine while you look for a spark.

If you have spark, check for fuel or spray with starting fluid into the throttle body. If the truck starts with starting fluid but does not keep running, you most likely have a fuel problem.

Since your truck has not run for a while, you might consider changing the fuel filter. It only cost about $10 and is good maintenance even if it is not the problem. You might get lucky and this fixes the problem.
The following users liked this post:
kburton66 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 PM

I'll get a fuel filter tomorrow. I found a fuel pressure gage in my toolbox without any hose. (I have more stuff than knowledge). Does it need a threaded fitting to check the pressure or can I just use a vacuum or fuel hose.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by kburton66
I'll get a fuel filter tomorrow. I found a fuel pressure gage in my toolbox without any hose. (I have more stuff than knowledge). Does it need a threaded fitting to check the pressure or can I just use a vacuum or fuel hose.
You should have a threaded fitting I am not 100% sure for your truck but I believe you have a fitting on your fuel rail where you can hook it up.
The following users liked this post:
kburton66 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 PM

Default Mechanic Buddy

I saw an old F150 in the driveway of my go to guy for all my tractor and mower work. He was on crutches and had IV's hooked up. The poor guy just got out of two weeks of rehab after having an infected knee from replacement surgery. They took the knee out and he doesn't know when the infection will heel up enough to get another knee. He probably won't be over working on my truck anytime soon.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 PM
this guy

Originally Posted by kburton66
yeah it needs something to push in the valve on the fuel rail they arent always threaded. was this truck sitting for a while?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:28 PM

I've got some people coming over tomorrow who can help me work on it. I may have time to do some more things next week. I actually have to buy it yet. It belongs to a 92 year old lady who couldn't get her dr license renewed this time.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Frank_Ford
As a general rule, if you have spark and fuel, the engine should start. If you have a timing light you can check for spark. If no timing light, pull a plug wire; place the wire next to a metal like the engine block, or frame where you will get a good ground; have someone turn over the engine while you look for a spark.

If you have spark, check for fuel or spray with starting fluid into the throttle body. If the truck starts with starting fluid but does not keep running, you most likely have a fuel problem.

Since your truck has not run for a while, you might consider changing the fuel filter. It only cost about $10 and is good maintenance even if it is not the problem. You might get lucky and this fixes the problem.
I'm having a similar issue with my 1991 f150. I have spark and just put in all new spark plugs. You mention using starter fluid in the throttle body to test if it's a fuel issue, how exactly would I go about doing that?
thanks
Old 02-07-2022, 07:00 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site!
For future reference, you'll probably be better off starting a new thread, rather than resurrecting this one approaching 9 years old.
All seriousness aside, pull off one of the hoses going to the throttle body coming from the air cleaner.
Lightly spritz starter fluid into the open port only while the engine is turning over - don't get overly enthusiastic about the spritzing - a one-second spritz is the ballpark target.
May take a bit for the fluid fumes to make their way through the manifold into the cylinders - a couple seconds or so.
Keep the engine rolling over a few more seconds after the end of the spritz to ensure fumes are cleared out, before spritzing again.
Also keep essential body parts like hands and eyes out of the line of fire of the throttle body port - things have been known to burp, belch, and backfire.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by wde3477
Welcome to the site!
For future reference, you'll probably be better off starting a new thread, rather than resurrecting this one approaching 9 years old.
All seriousness aside, pull off one of the hoses going to the throttle body coming from the air cleaner.
Lightly spritz starter fluid into the open port only while the engine is turning over - don't get overly enthusiastic about the spritzing - a one-second spritz is the ballpark target.
May take a bit for the fluid fumes to make their way through the manifold into the cylinders - a couple seconds or so.
Keep the engine rolling over a few more seconds after the end of the spritz to ensure fumes are cleared out, before spritzing again.
Also keep essential body parts like hands and eyes out of the line of fire of the throttle body port - things have been known to burp, belch, and backfire.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
got it to start up with the starter fluid. Still wont stay running or start without it. Sparks are good and getting spark so has to be fuel related. I pulled the tanks and both aren't in great shape so I'm going to replace both the tanks and pumps to see if that fixes the issue. If that doesn't work am I correct in assuming that the problem is then an electrical issue with the fuel making it to the engine?
I checked the fuel pump relay and it does click when the key is turned. Is there anything else I can check to see what the issue may be ?

Quick Reply: 1991 5.0 EFI cranks but won't start