Topic Sponsor

1990 F150 Won't Start After Running

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1990 F150 Won't Start After Running

Hey everybody, this is my first post in this forum however I have been using the forum for about the last 5 years to work on my pickup. I had a small fire in the engine compartment about 1 year ago due to fuel line connector breaking. I just got back from school so this is the first chance I have had to really work on it. I am have lost a substantial amount of power from what I had before. I used to have a lot of power before the fire and now I struggle to get enough power to take off from a stop sign. The pickup also doesn't start after I run it for anymore than 15 minutes then I have to wait for it cool down before it will start. The motor cranks but doesn't start. I took it to a shop yesterday and they replaced the fuel pressure regulator which solved the issue of it dying on me when I would come to a stop but they told me they could not figure out any of the other problems. I have new spark plugs, a new distributor assembly, have tried replacing the ignition coil and to no avail I have not gotten any closer to a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no more ideas. The motor is a 351 out of a '93 very clean motor with great compression.
Thanks!

Last edited by FraserF150; 06-10-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that it doesn't start after running it until it cools down is a good opportunity to do some troubleshooting. When it doesn't start, do you mean that it will just turn over, but not "kick" at all? If so, then what are you missing? It is easy enough to check for spark or fuel, and if one is missing you are at least on your way to finding the problem. Hopefully the no-start and low power problems are related.

If both spark and fuel are present then you have gone beyond my ability to help, but there are a few gurus lurking in the bushes who will have some idea where to check.

Quick Reply: 1990 F150 Won't Start After Running