Topic Sponsor

1989 F150 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 F150 Lariat

New member here with a new to me 89' F150 4x4 / 351 engine with Auto Trans. 98K original miles. Only real aftermarket part is a K&N Cone filter It's having issues that I'm hoping you can help me with.

Idles around 8-900 rpm which seems high to me. Then on occasion it will go up to about 12-1300.

Basically idles smooth but has a bit of a rough spot.

Doesn't heat up very quickly. When it gets up to operating temp (halfway thru the gauge) Turn the heat on and the needle drops almost down to cold...thermostat?

Steering wheel has lots of play but truck tracks straight. Power steering pump whines / pump tank and hose all seem damp/wet with some dirt accumulated. Is there a known issue regarding this?

Also curious as to what others are getting for mpg's?

I appreciate any help from those more experienced

Last edited by 150guy1; 12-30-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi and Welcome,

I have a 302 so I can't speak specifically to the idle of your engine but if the truck is new to you I would recomend a full tune up just to see where everything is at. If you have the means to do so a compression check would be good also. One of the 'joys' of getting a new used vehicle is catching up on all the things that someone else neglected. It's amazing how something as simple as a breather filter can make the truck run so much better.

The power steering whine is common. I don't have it on my '87. I replaced the pump several years ago because the old one was leaking. It was original and didn't have the whine either, but I know what you are talking about. I would clean all the gunk that you mentioned off and go for a short drive to see where the leak is, if there is one.

Steering feeling loose is a relative thing. My truck seems loose compared to my car but I know it's good. Get under the front end and see if any of the steering linkage moves around too much. Jack the front end and see if the wheels move too much. I wouldn't think the gear needs to be replaced at 98k. I changed all the seals and orings when mine was in the high 100s because the rear seal was leaking. I'm around 280k now with no problems.

The heat problem sounds like the thermostat, yes.

I stopped tracking mpg years ago. I think the best I ever got with the 302 was 14. Road trip across the country, very little weight, middle of Kansas, with a tail wind. I think it gets around 8 now. Some thing I'm better off not knowing.
The following users liked this post:
150guy1 (01-01-2014)
Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 PM

I had the same issue with the play in the steering wheel. The solution i had with my steering box is the there is this screw on top of the box and i tightened it. It's towards were the line pressure line connects to. I will try to get you a picture of the location tomorrow.
150guy1 (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Here is the picture of it. I was little off it is like a screw looking thing to the left. When you tighten it you have to hold the nut with a wrench and tighten the screw with a flat head. I will help with the play in the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails 1989 F150 Lariat-cam00115.jpg  
150guy1 (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 08:54 PM

Default Wow

Thanks for taking the time to shoot a picture and give me more info!

Still trying to figure out what I need to do to clear up the high idle. IAC, EGR...both?

Mileage is terrible... it's gotta do better than 11 mpg especially when I'm driving it so mellow.

Previous owner was unsure about the rear tank as he only used the front. Filled it up, put some additive in, switched tanks and waited. As I expected it started to die so I switched back. Got on the freeway, put it back on the rear tank and woohoo drove a dozen miles with no issues.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the high idle goes, I just solved a problem like this with my truck. I have a 302 but the application should be the same. I had a very high idle, and I went through everything from TPS to IAC and vacuum lines. It ended up being my upper intake gasket. It is worth a shot considering it only costs about 10 bucks for the entire intake gasket kit, and takes a couple hours. It solved my problem, might work for you too.
150guy1 (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM

That's the only response I've had so far about the idle. Had another incident during pretty cold weather drove about 10 miles, engine at operating temp. idle was all the way up to 2400, let it idle for 5 min. remained high. Keyed off and restarted idle came back down to it's incorrect but normal idle of 800 or so. Other times it's running and will idle up to 1300 all on it's own...I just don't get it, never thought of the intake gasket.

Last edited by 150guy1; 01-28-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 1989 F150 Lariat