Topic Sponsor

Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I start?

My truck has been running great. Last weekend I took her out of town 120 miles, mostly highway miles, but had stop and go traffic for a half mile. I noticed that the temp needle went 3/4 up but immediately went back to normal after getting back to 50 mph. Today she was normal until I got into stop and go traffic and the temp started going up again. As soon as I got moving, the temp went right back down. I watch the temperature gauge like a hawk and this is completely new. I feel like a cooling fan is out. I will start there, but does anyone have suggestions on other things that I should check out? Thank you
Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 PM

do u got a clutch fan or electric bet that could be ur problem or 1 option anyway
Old 11-07-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

any other symptoms? sounds like its got an issue with the fan if its electric or the water pump is shot or you have crud in ur coolant thats blocking flow... does it idle fast? sound like your dragging a driveline under the front end? when was the last time you had your coolant flushed? it could also be the thermostat, cheap and easy to replace, and when u have the old one out, toss it in boiling water, if it doesnt open then u know u got the problem

Last edited by Matthew Burr; 11-07-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 AM

Thank you for your help. Fan is working, coolant and thermostat were changed this summer. 3 weeks ago I had the heater core replaced and coolant topped off. I didn't think that it could be low on coolant as I haven't noticed any leaks but yesterday saw that it was down some so checked all the hoses for leaks and tightened all fittings. Some were loose and saw evidence of an old leak that might have leaked recently. Usually I check the coolant level first thing but I assumed the radiator was full cuz it was 3 weeks ago. I replaced the coolant and will keep an eye on the level but I don't feel this is the answer. It doesn't make sense as I would think a lowered level of coolant would be a consistent heating problem, not what I experenced but I'll find out soon enough when I drive her in stop and go traffic again. I will check the water pump next.

Last edited by smart88; 11-08-2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: clarity

Quick Reply: Where do I start?