Topic Sponsor

What can I shed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I shed?

I have a 96 f-150 that I have been building for a year or so. I have made plenty for body and suspension modifications but have not touched the engine compartment. With the exception of the ac pump(future on board air pump) what all can I get rid of ie: smog pump, ac radiator, by pass heater core, ex... I dont care about street legal and anything that could equal a power gain would be awesome. Basically I'm just really tired of fighting with unnecessary parts that get in the way of other modifications plus a little weight loss wouldn't hurt I'm having a hard time pushing 37" tires through the rocks and i wanna strip it down to only the necessary components
Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're having a hard time rolling 37's, I'd start by looking at a ring and pinion swap.

Somewhere in the area of 5.10's might get you in the direction you're looking for.

Also getting rid of the fan and clutch and installing an e-fan with a temp switch would gain you some power.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Scott'sF150
If you're having a hard time rolling 37's, I'd start by looking at a ring and pinion swap.

Somewhere in the area of 5.10's might get you in the direction you're looking for.

Also getting rid of the fan and clutch and installing an e-fan with a temp switch would gain you some power.
I already planned on a gear swap but thats a hard bullet to bite because I just replaced the rear ring a pinon when I installed my mini spool and found that the stock ring and pinon had THREE!!! teeth completely sheared off.

I already planned on going to the e fan due to the fact that I have been having issues with the stock fan hitting the radiator... Im on radiator #4 and have already replaced the motor mounts the last one was due to the transfer case getting hung up in the rocks
Old 12-30-2013, 12:38 AM

Stock was what? 2.73, 3.08, 3.55?

What the heck were you crawling on to break that?

No matter. If this is gonna be a weekend rock warrior, then you gotta pay to play.
But just keep in mind that you can buy the most expensive stuff you can find, and you'll STILL break it.

Just have fun.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:23 PM

Stock was what? 2.73, 3.08, 3.55?.
3.08 but i found them broken before I started crawling
Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 AM

3.08 is great on mild trails, but you're definately gonna need bigger gears.
Are you using the factory t-case? If so, you might want to invest on something a little beefier, or have yours upgraded. SYE, doubler, the works.

Is this thing going to be trailered to your prefered spot, or will it be driven a significant distance?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM

3.08 is great on mild trails, but you're definately gonna need bigger gears.
Are you using the factory t-case? If so, you might want to invest on something a little beefier, or have yours upgraded. SYE, doubler, the works.

Is this thing going to be trailered to your prefered spot, or will it be driven a significant distance?
Dirt only... my truck is far from street legal... I'm sure there were threads out there with this info but I'm not real savvy with forum use. I have not looked into t case upgrades but I haven't ran into any issues yet

Quick Reply: What can I shed?