Topic Sponsor

timing 4.9

Old 02-22-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing 4.9

Hi Guys, new here and to a 1994 f150 4.9. how do i set timing, on the bottom pully there is a notch but also a maybe 1/4" line, which one do i use. Thanks for your help, jim
Old 02-23-2014, 11:25 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

I just worked on my timing on my '96. I sanded my harmonic balancer (the bottom pulley) and found several lines marked 26, 10, and 6. I assumed they were BTDC. There also was an added ring attached to the balancer that had some "wide *****" on them. There is a "pointer" on one side of the block and standard markings on the other showing 16, 10, 6, 2, and TDC. I found that one "****" worked good with the timing marks on the block. Make sure you disconnect the SPOUT. I set it to 10 degrees that way and drove it for the rest of the day and some this morning like that. It ran a little rough and seemed to have a lack of power causing my tranny to swift weird. I reset it by ear and turned up the timing a little. I will see how it does tomorrow. I find tuning by ear seems to work better on a high mileage engine that probably has head gasket issues like mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing 4.9