Topic Sponsor

Rebuilding 300ci(?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rebuilding 300ci(?)

Ssssoooo
My motor is official at 300km, not sure what that is in miles, however, since my last oil change(I over filled by a few liters,my fault)I've heard a knocking sound, so I'm saving up and going to rebuild the motor
Now this is my idea of a good motor
-Slightly (NOT HUGE) larger throttle body(not sure what stock size is)
-Headers, and full exhuast, not sure what kind of headers to use, but I want a better brand, it will be a flowmaster 40 series I'll be putting on for the muffler
-Drop in KN air filter
-Upgraded cam
-Maybe in the future do slightly bigger fuel injectors, and maybe a cold air(?)

This is NOT a race truck, I want to get some more power out of the truck though, not a huge increase, just some more...I use this truck as a daily driver, and as a work truck from time to time, I've looked into getting a differnet truck(V8 and all) but I can't afford another truck, and if it breaks, its just more money down the drain
So please, give me your thoughts on this idea/dream of mine
Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Oooo a Custom Title.

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

-Slightly (NOT HUGE) larger throttle body
Not sure if it will help on a I6.

-Headers, and full exhuast
I would skip the headers because they will take away form low end torque.

-Drop in KN air filter
Yes a good idea.

-Upgraded cam
This is a nice boost here, Now you want a computer compatible cam. Don't go insane and put the biggest one in. Here a good example: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k66-237-4
Or this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k66-248-4 This one might lose on the low end torque.

-Maybe in the future do slightly bigger fuel injectors, and maybe a cold air
Injectors won't be needed, I would replace them but not upgrade them. Cold air I cannot comment on.

I'm not a 300 guy so let some of the others comment before making a decision.

Last edited by LOCO LAPTOP; 01-03-2013 at 07:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jake2345 (01-06-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know if you can get a larger throttle body for the EFI I6. Ive never looked.
As for headers, stay with the EFI log header it came with. It is uglier than the one you can obtain from Clifford Performance, but flows at the same rate (some say better).
The K&N is a fantastic idea, and a cat back exhaust will make a difference in low end torque.

There is some modification possible to the fuel injectors.
Try this and see if it works for you.
http://www.bigblocksix.com/Eddie/injectorswap/
The following users liked this post:
Jake2345 (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Scott'sF150
I don't know if you can get a larger throttle body for the EFI I6. Ive never looked.
As for headers, stay with the EFI log header it came with. It is uglier than the one you can obtain from Clifford Performance, but flows at the same rate (some say better).
The K&N is a fantastic idea, and a cat back exhaust will make a difference in low end torque.

There is some modification possible to the fuel injectors.
Try this and see if it works for you.
http://www.bigblocksix.com/Eddie/injectorswap/
Reason I wanna do a header and full exhuast is because I already took the cat off, I'm running no cat, and just a walker muffler which I think is factory original, I'm just wanting to get the right amount of power and torque from the truck...I have been told I'll lose a little torque with headers, but not alot, not enough that I'll start to complain about...
Now would you say drop in kn filter or cold air? because I've heard mixed things with the cold air, but I've also heard mixed things about the drop in filter.....remeber this wont be happening for a little while
Old 01-06-2013, 01:30 PM

Drop in filter is fine. Just make sure you clean and oil it per the directions.
I'm not certain that K&N makes a complete CAI for our trucks.
I do know that one is available for the 5.0, and may be able to be adapted, but that would mean som fab work for the throttle body connection.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 PM

Drop in filter is fine. Just make sure you clean and oil it per the directions.
I'm not certain that K&N makes a complete CAI for our trucks.
I do know that one is available for the 5.0, and may be able to be adapted, but that would mean som fab work for the throttle body connection.
Yeah I've heard that the KN filters take 24 hours to clean.....kinda a **** off xD
But another thing, where is a good place to buy a upgraded throttle body? I went to my local parts suppler in my town and they only have gaskets and stuff, but no throttle bodys
Is there any brand you'd recomend to me? Also going back to the exhuast question, what flows better, flowmaster or magnaflow? Or does it really matter?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Magnaflow, or even a cherrybomb flows better than a flowmaster, If you can see through the muffler, it flows better, flowmasters design works by preventing exaught gas from reversing, sort of like a one way valve, this causes pressure ahead of the muffler to be lower, thats what the company used to claim, anyway. You can adapt a 302 throttle body, google the crap out of it and you'll find the how to.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jake2345
Yeah I've heard that the KN filters take 24 hours to clean.....kinda a **** off xD
But another thing, where is a good place to buy a upgraded throttle body? I went to my local parts suppler in my town and they only have gaskets and stuff, but no throttle bodys
Is there any brand you'd recomend to me? Also going back to the exhuast question, what flows better, flowmaster or magnaflow? Or does it really matter?
K&N filter takes about 30-45 mins. to clean.
Best place to go for a TB is a U-Pull-it or other J/Y. Just hunt around a bit and you can find one.
As for mufflers, any brand will do just fine as far as flow. If you're interested in your exhaust note, that's something you'll have to hear for yourself. I like my Magnaflow personally. A Flowmaster 44 made my I6 sound like a Honda. I've never used Dynomax, but I understand that they have a good reputation as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM

K&N filter takes about 30-45 mins. to clean.
Best place to go for a TB is a U-Pull-it or other J/Y. Just hunt around a bit and you can find one.
As for mufflers, any brand will do just fine as far as flow. If you're interested in your exhaust note, that's something you'll have to hear for yourself. I like my Magnaflow personally. A Flowmaster 44 made my I6 sound like a Honda. I've never used Dynomax, but I understand that they have a good reputation as well.
What about cams? I'm wanting to upgrade the cam, maybe one that can give me around 50-70 more horsepower, and 70-90 more foot pounds of torque, would I have to upgrade the ECU unit? I'm wanting a few more years out of this truck, and when the body goes, I want to drop the motor in another F150, I finally had to do the clutch, not to bad, but any other ideas? Or recommendations?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:11 PM

I think Clifford Performance makes one, but I'm not positive about that.
I'm sure others on this forum would know for sure. I'm also pretty sure that I read an article in True Blue Trucks magazine referencing a build on a carb'd I6 where the builder used an older FORD 240ci I6 head with roller rockers from a chevy, pistons from a Pontiac, connecting rods from a dodge, and a few other parts, and was able to get an engine that made over 400hp and could do a quick burst to 7000 rpm.
It was called Frankenmotor IIRC

Quick Reply: Rebuilding 300ci(?)