Topic Sponsor

Need help with my son's truck.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my son's truck.

My 17 year old son drives a '96 f150 with a 300ci inline six.
Evidently, it developed a pin hole in one of the steel pipes that the heater hoses are connected to and pumped out most of the coolant. My son was oblivious to this until it cut off in a plume of steam.
I was hoping against hope that it was something simple. I checked the distributor gear, not sheared. I checked fuel pressure at the rail, plenty. I checked for spark, strong at the plug wire. I had the ICM tested, it failed at Auto zone and passed at OReilly.
What's next?
It will crank and crank without any sign of catching.
Thanks, Marc
Old 03-12-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure someone helpful will be along shortly.
The following users liked this post:
03 Big Red (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

If you have fuel and spark, my guess is the timing is off. Find top dead center on compression and check rotor location. Just went through this with a friends '89 and we had the wrong location on the harmonic balancer marked. Ford really messed with the timing marks. On my '96, the balancer had degrees etched in. There is also a ring screwed to the engine side of the balancer with two ***** on it that could also be used as timing marks. On the block there is two locations as timing indicators. The left side has a short rod with a point, and the right side traditional timing marks.

Anyway, but your finger over the #1 spark plug hole and feel for compression. Then pull off the cap and check location of rotor. Turn distributor if needed. Outside of that, I have nothing.

Did you replace the ICM?
Have you checked for codes?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible that the spraying coolant could have soaked something electrical and shorted it out? Look at and around where the hole was spewing coolant out and see whats nearby, it's possible something got wet that shouldn't have.

Also...it is possible to have pressure at the rail and the injectors not firing. Have someone crank it over and see if you can hear them clicking as they fire.

I had this happen on a friends truck that sat for 11 years before they figured it out. The ground wire coming off the negative battery terminal is the main ground for the ECM, so make sure that is getting a good solid connection. If it's not, you will have spark and pressure at the rail, but no fule will be being delivered to the cylinders. Just a thought, let us know what fixes it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with my son's truck.