Topic Sponsor

Major Mod Plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Major Mod Plans

Well...the family truck (All details listed in the signature tag), my wife (Who is a total gear-head) and I were discussing some modifications to do to the truck. I know these discussions have been brought up before, but I want to see some new fresh content on the discussion.

The first modification we wanted to do is take the M5OD transmission out and replace it with a C6.

The second modification we wanted to do is to simplify the engine by swapping our EFI system out to a carburetor.

We want to do this, because we want to get as far as way as possibly from having anything to do with a computer in our truck. We're both old school, we know how to work on new autos, but we hate computers and sensors. HATE THEM.

Neither my wife, nor me are pro mechanics, but we are mechanical. So if there are any information, tips, or resources anyone can provide, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey I used to share your philosophy on carburetors. I had an old wrangler that I removed the fuel injection system on and ran it off a carb. Yes, it was very simple, no sensors, no engine codes, but It became a pain over the long term. Gas mileage was always awful, the adapter for the carburetor was always coming lose, not sealing right, causing problems, etc. Even after good adjustment, starting up in the cold weather was rough, idle at cold temps was rough. After going through this, I would rather just replace the needed parts in the fuel injection system, and keep it working smooth.

If you must convert to carb fuel delivery, make sure you get a good carb adapter or intake manifold for it. Vacuum is so important with carbs, so everything has to fit together just right.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by andretti05
Hey I used to share your philosophy on carburetors. I had an old wrangler that I removed the fuel injection system on and ran it off a carb. Yes, it was very simple, no sensors, no engine codes, but It became a pain over the long term. Gas mileage was always awful, the adapter for the carburetor was always coming lose, not sealing right, causing problems, etc. Even after good adjustment, starting up in the cold weather was rough, idle at cold temps was rough. After going through this, I would rather just replace the needed parts in the fuel injection system, and keep it working smooth.

If you must convert to carb fuel delivery, make sure you get a good carb adapter or intake manifold for it. Vacuum is so important with carbs, so everything has to fit together just right.
Thank you for sharing. I had a carb'ed 84 I6, never had any issues with it. Don't really notice much of a difference with it and my TBI I6 as far as fuel millage. My 84 idled really well in extreme cold, and it started good for a carb'ed engine, but I did install a manual choke. I was probably going to do an Offenhauser intake with either a Holley 390 or 465.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I can see going from manual to auto on the transmission, the novelty of gearshift and clutch wore off for me a long time ago, but for the fuel delivery system - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I just say that because I'm old enough to remember leaving parties and it was always a question of which vehicles would start and which wouldn't. HEI and EFI came along and although we were all very suspicious of this new fangled technology, all the trucks and cars started every time. Seemed to be an improvement.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
I can see going from manual to auto on the transmission, the novelty of gearshift and clutch wore off for me a long time ago, but for the fuel delivery system - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I just say that because I'm old enough to remember leaving parties and it was always a question of which vehicles would start and which wouldn't. HEI and EFI came along and although we were all very suspicious of this new fangled technology, all the trucks and cars started every time. Seemed to be an improvement.

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. I really don't mind the hard starting, and I am fond of a manual choke. I love the 300, but I hate all the sensors, wires, vacuum lines, and all the other BS of fuel injection. I replaced an Air Injection Reactor tube a couple months ago, and I wanted to throw the darn upper manifold over a cliff. When I replaced the EGR a couple weeks ago, I had the same feeling again. I could slap the engineer that designed the EFI setup for the 300.

The carb swap will probably be a later project, but the transmission I would like to do soon. I have never swapped a M5OD-R2 out for a C6, so I have no clue on it. I would like to get an OEM steering column with an automatic shift lever, but I really don't know how to pop in the C6, and make it work. I like the C6, because it's bullet-proof and not computerized, unlike the E4OD. I know the C6 does not have overdrive, but I rarely go over 65 MPH.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:36 AM

You will need the separator (or starter dowel) plate, a flex plate, a different starter, probably a different transmission mount crossmember, a shift linkage setup, a vacuum line, trans cooling lines and a cooler, a front driveshaft yoke, a different length driveshaft, and of course an automatic column and indicator bar for the odometer. Plus there will be a little wiring work changing from a clutch activator to a neutral start switch.
I may have missed a couple things, but that's most of it.
The following users liked this post:
224282 (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
You will need the separator (or starter dowel) plate, a flex plate, a different starter, probably a different transmission mount crossmember, a shift linkage setup, a vacuum line, trans cooling lines and a cooler, a front driveshaft yoke, a different length driveshaft, and of course an automatic column and indicator bar for the odometer. Plus there will be a little wiring work changing from a clutch activator to a neutral start switch.
I may have missed a couple things, but that's most of it.

You are the man! I figured the column, flex plate, and I see a punchout on my cluster, so the indicator will slip right in, but the rest I could not figure out. I am not very familiar with the vacuum modulator, but would the line for that go to the vacuum tree on the upper intake, or would I need to do something special for that? Plus I am not sure, if the computer would goof up either.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:51 PM

Oh yeah, there should be a sensor on the trans that feeds a signal to the speedo like the vss on the diff does, but maybe it won't matter or maybe it will - that one I could only guess at. Probably light up your cel though.
Maybe there's some kind of aftermarket thing if it's an issue.
The vacuum line just goes to straight vacuum - best to get the adjustable modulator.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

sounds like it would be waaay easier for you just to buy an older simpler auto f150, instead of coverting the entire drivetrain you know?
that being said im a pretty hard core manual trans guy, and really like ford fuel injection. really simple and reliable. it is about what you prefer i guess. i know if i wanted a carb f150 i would rock an older one
Old 01-03-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a offey intake with a edelbrock performer 500 and an old style mag pickup distributor and msd ignition on my 94 runs and starts better than the efi ever did

Quick Reply: Major Mod Plans