Topic Sponsor

Looking at 2000 F150, 5.4l (What to look for?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 2000 F150, 5.4l (What to look for?)

Going to look at a 2000 F150 with the 5.4L.

Anything in particular I should keep an eye out for when checking it over? (Possible problem areas? Gas tank straps, rust around corners etc, etc)

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2014, 02:42 PM

Little late but typical rust around fenders, check bottom inside of driver and passenger door rust starts there and spreads. There was a recall on tank straps ask if it has been addressed yet. Other than that I've had little to no problems. And I've had mine for 3+ years now with around 230k. I got a maggy muffler with dual tips sounds really good! Good luck!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2000/5.4/4x4
Little late but typical rust around fenders, check bottom inside of driver and passenger door rust starts there and spreads. There was a recall on tank straps ask if it has been addressed yet. Other than that I've had little to no problems. And I've had mine for 3+ years now with around 230k. I got a maggy muffler with dual tips sounds really good! Good luck!

Yep... the one I bought had it and I didn't notice it till 3 days after I bought it (didn't see your post till today). I checked the cab corners before I bought it, as well as lots of other engine-related things, and above wheel wells real good, no rust there.
The way I noticed the rust inside doors was when I was putting some new seat covers on it and had to get down low. Everything else checked out good and truck otherwise looks real good. (would it slow the rusting process down any if I sprayed WD40 on it, or wishful thinking?) It idles like a kitten at 600 rpms and drives like a car - I Like It....

I filled the tank and put a can of Seafoam in it and drove it 300 miles, mostly on the highway at 60 mph and with cruise on most of the time. I was happy to discover I got 18.1 mpg! I don't have a heavy foot, but I'm sure it will get a little heavier now that I'm not trying to baby it and set a "new world record" for 5.4L gas mileage.

I searched around a lot and finally found a 2000, CC with only 75,000 miles on it, and was able to buy it for $7,500. (According to Kelly Blue Book, that was a almost a steal) The young man was super nice and I got the sense he was honest. His brother worked at a quick-lube place and he let me and my buddy pull it in and look underneath it for leaks and/or problem areas - looked good. He even gave me a partial case (10) oil filters

I put seat covers on it and weather-tech mats, front and back, and it's ready to be a hunting/fishing truck!

It does have the "problem" cup-holder thing going on, and I'll have to find the post I saw before about what guys did to fix that.

I asked if the gas tank straps had been replaced - he didn't know - wish I'd have remembered to look at that while we were underneath it. Anyone know if Ford will still honor the recall and replace the straps for free (if they are bad) since it's a safety issue?

Thanks for all the great info all you guys provide!
Old 11-09-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fordsrus
Yep... the one I bought had it and I didn't notice it till 3 days after I bought it (didn't see your post till today). I checked the cab corners before I bought it, as well as lots of other engine-related things, and above wheel wells real good, no rust there. The way I noticed the rust inside doors was when I was putting some new seat covers on it and had to get down low. Everything else checked out good and truck otherwise looks real good. (would it slow the rusting process down any if I sprayed WD40 on it, or wishful thinking?) It idles like a kitten at 600 rpms and drives like a car - I Like It.... I filled the tank and put a can of Seafoam in it and drove it 300 miles, mostly on the highway at 60 mph and with cruise on most of the time. I was happy to discover I got 18.1 mpg! I don't have a heavy foot, but I'm sure it will get a little heavier now that I'm not trying to baby it and set a "new world record" for 5.4L gas mileage. I searched around a lot and finally found a 2000, CC with only 75,000 miles on it, and was able to buy it for $7,500. (According to Kelly Blue Book, that was a almost a steal) The young man was super nice and I got the sense he was honest. His brother worked at a quick-lube place and he let me and my buddy pull it in and look underneath it for leaks and/or problem areas - looked good. He even gave me a partial case (10) oil filters I put seat covers on it and weather-tech mats, front and back, and it's ready to be a hunting/fishing truck! It does have the "problem" cup-holder thing going on, and I'll have to find the post I saw before about what guys did to fix that. I asked if the gas tank straps had been replaced - he didn't know - wish I'd have remembered to look at that while we were underneath it. Anyone know if Ford will still honor the recall and replace the straps for free (if they are bad) since it's a safety issue? Thanks for all the great info all you guys provide!
congrats on getting the truck, I find Ford trucks drive like trucks and Chevys trucks like cars. Everything must be in good working order. I haven't addressed the rust issues on doors but after 3 years it hasent got significantly worse. Paint bubbled outside of wheel wheels and cracked but isn't very noticeable. Ford should honour recall. I haven't done much to mine just exhaust and maintenance. Hauls really good for stock best of luck

Quick Reply: Looking at 2000 F150, 5.4l (What to look for?)