Topic Sponsor

Engine shutting off while drifving

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine shutting off while drifving

Hey all,

Hope someone can help, I'm at a loss ... I drive a 1990 F150, 4.9L, Inline 6, Manual Trans, with ~300K miles ... A few weeks ago I was driving to work and it just died while on the highway, put it in neutral and turned the key and it fired right up and didn't do it again the rest of the way. On the way home, first it seemed like it did a little dip, RPM's dropped real low and almost died, then a few more miles down the highway it died again, and started right up and didn't do it again the rest of the way ... I am assuming its something to do with the ignition, so I got under there and wiggle the wires on the distributor and ignition coil, and tapped on the ICM. Could be completely coincidental but after I did that it stopped doing it for a week and half. but now its doing it again. If anyone has encountered this before or has any advice I would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TD
Old 01-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Could also be fuel pump/pressure being low and erratic. You have a gauge you can check it with?
Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a similar problem when my positive cable melted on the exhaust. Maybe cables going bad or bad ground.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:29 PM

I finally figured it out by accident kinda , I noticed that when I touch the key it would come back on, so I started by replacing my ignition lock cylinder, and it still was setting off, so then I replaced my ignition switch and it fixed the problem, but thank you everybody for the help

Quick Reply: Engine shutting off while drifving