Topic Sponsor

Engine light on, smell fuel, idle sputters, but drive up the road and light goes off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light on, smell fuel, idle sputters, but drive up the road and light goes off.

OK I just bought 93 f 150 270,000 miles just to take trash and small errands. Guy said needed tune up. It ran rough. put new plugs, wires, oil change, air filter,. Still ran the same. Battery wire was rusty and loose so I replaced the terminal. When I did that the truck ran awesome engine light went out thought my problem was electrical and it was fixed. Few days go by the light comes back on and it sputters like before. If you hit the gas going down the road it bucks and wants to cut off. So I just baby it barely touching accelerater. So I bought some gas fuel cleaner and added it to a tank of 93 Octaine. It seems like it wants to run better because one second it sputters then the engine light goes off and it runs great for a few seconds then engine light back on sputters, does this alot. I've tried the paper clip in the test to pull codes but mine won't work. Really don't want to try to drive to an auto store in case it does die on the way. Any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Engine light on, smell fuel, idle sputters, but drive up the road and light goes off.