Topic Sponsor

diagnosing engine stall/hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diagnosing engine stall/hesitation

Hey, guys. My 18yo just bought a 95 F150 with the 300 in it. 147,000 miles on it. The biggest unknown issue on it is the fact that it doesnt want to idle on a cold start. If you rev it a little and keep a toe on the gas pedal, it will idle just fine. takes a little finesse with the pedal to get it to rev and speed up. once warm, it will idle pretty well on its own.

again, finesse with the pedal, and you can drive it down the road. Sustained speed at 55-60 and it will loose power but stay running.... and then "catch up" and run fine. Initially, I was thinking the idle prob was an idle air control valve (which i think this has... its EFI)... but now leaning more towards the fuel filter... or both. could be.

since its the guy i bought it from bartered for it, he has no history on it. it has rusty overflow from the radiator cap... so its getting a new pump and thermostat right away. on the drive home (7mi) the temp stayed in the lower range... so we'll keep an eye on it. the cooling system will be getting a fluch and clean as well.

the only other engine thing....
theres only what i can describe as a growling noise. appears to be coming from a part of the emissions system. theres a rubber hose about 1.5" in diameter that runs from the lower left side of the engine up in front of the engine and has a cannister that looks like a valve mid-line. i put my hand on that hose and the noise i hear is associated with whatever it is hooked to. thinking a smog pump. not obtrusive or annoying... but on an otherwise very very quiet running engine.... its the only unusual sound that draws attention.

If you guys have any other ideas on what i'm dealing with, pass it on. New to this truck, but not new to wrenching. a vast majority of my experience is working on Jeeps and motorcycles and i'm typically a Mopar guy... but my kid picked this one out and paid for most of it.... and it was a good choice. I've known several people who have had the I-6 F150 and they all loved them and they have a great reputation when maintained. Hopefully my kid will learn alot from this... and not get burned. lol

thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check fuel pressure, port is on pass side behind the throttle body. It could be a slew of other problems none that sound outrageous though.

Quick Reply: diagnosing engine stall/hesitation