Topic Sponsor

Buzzin half dozen

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzin half dozen

I bought a 95 with a 300 and a 5 speed for $500. I had to replace the shift forks, hooked up the battery and was in business. Back in the late 80's we raced Chevrolet 6's on circle tracks, so I know what they are capable of and basically what to do. I am planning a build for the 300 and have read several threads on here about different parts people are using. I have a supercharger from a supercoupe that will be going on it. I want to use efi. Has anyone found rods and forged pistons at a decent cost? I know parts can be made, but I don't want to spend that kind of money. I want a strong bottom end and a reliable build. Is there an opinion on the melling tv cam for this app? I kinda had my eye on a crane. Also is there a disc brake rearend that will fit width wise? It's going to be coilover and 4 link. Also a daily driver! Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 PM

I also know where there is a rebuilt industrial 300 sitting. Is it worth buying? I know it has the good crank, but is there anything else worth anything in there?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I was looking on ebay the other day and saw used nascar rods in lengths that would work, but for 1.8 inch journal and a .787" wrist pin , i don't see a problem turning a crank too match the bottom but i can't find any cheap pistons that pin size.
There are a few chevy pistons and 340 dodge ones that you could make work on the stock rods, and how many broken 300 rod have you seen, i have never had it happen.

The industrial six should have a forged steel crank, and the earlier blocks may be a little stronger.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 AM

I Saw the rods on eBay too. Some of them are 2.100 size too. I'm starting to think a se of arp bolts in the stock rods will work due to big end width

Quick Reply: Buzzin half dozen