Topic Sponsor

buying used 4.9 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying used 4.9 engine

I'm about to buy a used 4.9 engine for my 94 f150 from a salvage yard. I'm getting the rear main seal and oil pan gasket changed. Is there anything I Should look for before buying the engine? It only has a 30 day warrenty. And is there anything else I should do to the engine while its out to prevent Headaches later on. I'm ready to get her back on the road:
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Does it have good compression? Whats the mileage? Any coolant or oil left in it?

Before I would drop in the new engine, I would do a complete gasket overhaul (inspection plate, valve cover, intake etc), new frost plugs with block heater, inspect timing gears, inspect the lifters and push rods along with the rocker arms, new injectors, bore scope the cylinders and a complete degrease and paint job to make it look good.

Anything that is hard to do in the engine bay cause the engine is in the way I would do while you have that space open. I'd get new mounts, all new vac lines, new hoses for power steering and transmission cooler lines (if automatic) and again complete cleaning of the fenders, firewall and frame with paint.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sylver91, thanks for the advice. I have an exhaust/lower intake manifold gasket, upper intake gasket, valve cover gasket, and push rod gasket from my old engine I just put on about two weeks ago. Do you think it would hurt to reuse those gaskets?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

If its rubber gasket it can be reused, usually anything else you throw out because its next to impossible to use it twice and have it seal properly. But because its been a couple weeks you might be ok, but if its ripped in the slightest, toss it.

The exhaust gaskets tho you should be fine.

Last edited by sylver91; 03-05-2013 at 09:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lee1 (03-05-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Besides the above items I would also consider changing out the timing gears while its out and pull the oil pan and inspect or replace the bearings. Check the oil pan sometimes they rust out.
Regards
rikard

Quick Reply: buying used 4.9 engine