Topic Sponsor

96 il 6 problem after thermostat change

Old 08-08-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 96 il 6 problem after thermostat change

I changed my thermostat in my truck 118000 miles on it,and now it idles rough as well as check engine light blinks then goes solid after I start moving after stopping at a light. Any suggestions? No vacuum lines loose, battery good,recent plugs and wires change. Running fine before the thermostat change.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Blinking light = misfire. What plugs and wires did you use? What about your distributor cap / rotor?
Old 08-08-2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Martian
Blinking light = misfire. What plugs and wires did you use? What about your distributor cap / rotor?
Motorcraft plugs/ wires. It's quite possible the number 1 wire may have came loose off of the plug when I was working on it. I will check it out. Thank you for your input
Old 08-08-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 13ecoboost
Motorcraft plugs/ wires. It's quite possible the number 1 wire may have came loose off of the plug when I was working on it. I will check it out. Thank you for your input
Found one plug wire loose on the engine. Discovered a leak on one of the small elbow fittings going into the top of the intake area.going to repair it asap. Thanks again for the help and input
Old 08-08-2016, 11:07 PM

Found one plug wire loose on the engine. Discovered a leak on one of the small elbow fittings going into the top of the intake area.going to repair it asap. Thanks again for the help and input
Still running rough in drive. Surges during acceleration. Still getting blinking light. Checked all wires both to each plug and the distributor. I can't think of anything else that could be wrong. It was running fine before I changed the thermostat...any ideas?
Old 08-11-2016, 06:20 AM

Still running rough in drive. Surges during acceleration. Still getting blinking light. Checked all wires both to each plug and the distributor. I can't think of anything else that could be wrong. It was running fine before I changed the thermostat...any ideas?
The loose wire had fouled out the plug in cylinder 1. Replaced the plug,and now it runs like it should . thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 il 6 problem after thermostat change