Topic Sponsor

94 4.9 air pump pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 4.9 air pump pulley

I'm in the process of removing the head on my 94 4.9 due to what seems to be a blown head gasket/cracked head and I'm trying to remove the bracket that holds the alt. and air pump. My question is should I be able to take the pulley off the air pump by removing the 10mm bolts in the center of pulley in order to get to the long bolt kinda behind the pulley holding the air pump to the bracket?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 PM

yes. if you take the 10mm bolts off you can pull the pulley right off the air pump. mine was rusted on pretty hard to a little pb blaster was needed for me to pull it off. hopefully you won't have the problem i am having right now. the bolt that holds the air pump to the bracket won't budge (even with pb blaster and torching it) GL
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 PM

Thanks twhilden7. I finally did get the pulley off. Matter of fact I just got my head back from the machine shop for inspection and everything was good. That bolt you are having trouble with on the air pump to bracket was a pain for me too. I sprayed CRC Freeze-off all around the bolt for about 20 sec and I let it sit for a while and it finally came loose.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lee1
That bolt you are having trouble with on the air pump to bracket was a pain for me too. I sprayed CRC Freeze-off all around the bolt for about 20 sec and I let it sit for a while and it finally came loose.
I may have to try that. There isn't any chance you would still have that bolt off and would be able to get the specs (diameter, length, tpi, etc) of it so I can replace it would you? Can't seem to find info for it anywhere.

Quick Reply: 94 4.9 air pump pulley