Topic Sponsor

4.9l with strange rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 4.9l with strange rattle

So my truck was getting too hot at idle and I noticed the radiator leaking slowly. I decided to just change out most of the cooling system while I had things apart. I replaced radiator, water pump, fan blade, fan clutch, and thermostat. Now, when the truck is idling, it has a strange rattle or shutter it makes for about 4 seconds. I can feel the vibration by putting my hand on one of the brackets at the top of the motor,but i cant tell where it's coming from. All the pulleys look good, the ac compressor pulley is a little loose, but it never gave me problems before this job. Any ideas? The shutter/shake comes and goes every 3 or 4 minutes. I also took the fan and fan clutch off just to eliminate them, and it still does it.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Could you have messed up the temp sensor or any connections while you were working.
Usually something like a bad pulley will be bad all the time, not every few minutes so you'd kind of think it has something to do with the motor's running system.
Bit of a wild guess from just a description.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:48 PM

I did have to move the temp sensor because the new water pump heater hose hook up didnt line up with the thermostat housing heater hose hook up which has the temp sensor in it. They were in the way and making it impossible for me to bolt up the thermostat housing. I used some brass elbows with plumbers tape to move the heater hose hook up on the thermostat housing up a little so everything fit ok. The sensor seems to be working ok though.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:43 PM

Found out where the rattle was coming from. It was the ac compressor pulley after all. A metal plate on the outside of the pulley is loose now and rattling up a storm. I'm probably going to solve this with a shorter serpentine belt and ac bypass. It must have come loose when I was messing with the serpentine belt or water pump pulley.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That plate should be part of the clutch that engages the a/c compressor. Probably want to figure out how to take it off before it flies off (into your brand new radiator).
Not likely anything you did to make it loose - it was probably just ready to go.
The following users liked this post:
Myron's (04-04-2016)

Quick Reply: 4.9l with strange rattle