Topic Sponsor

1996 F150 4.9L Inline 6 - Distributor and oil pump shaft problem! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1996 F150 4.9L Inline 6 - Distributor and oil pump shaft problem! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Ok. So, I have a 4.9L Inline 6 Cylinder Engine and I recently changed the distributor because I was having an ignition problem and traced it to the PIP sensor in the distributor. When I pulled the old distributor out, the shaft that drives the oil pump came out with it.

I was concentrating on getting the distributor lined up right with the Top Dead Center and everything and put everything back together and started up the truck. I took it around the block and came back home and let it idle and it sounded like the valves were knocking. I hopped back in the truck and noticed the oil pressure gauge was down to nothing. I shut off the engine and pulled the distributor out of the engine and the oil pump shaft/extension came out with the distributor. I slid it into the distributor shaft and guided the distributor back into the engine with the oil pressure shaft attached to the distributor shaft and it seemed to go into the hole where it is supposed to go but once I put everything back together and tried to start it again still no oil pressure.

PLEASE HELP!!!! Is there a special way to reinstall the oil pump shaft? I shined a flashlight into the hole where the distributor goes into the engine and could see a hole down in there that was smaller that looked like where the oil pump shaft was supposed to go but it looked round and not a hexagon shape like the oil pump shaft. Couldn't really see though because it is touch to get light down in that hole.

Any help sure would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Try attaching the shaft to a drill and stick it back in the engine and run the drill at a low speed, it sounds like your pump lost it's prime, probably wouldn't hurt to put fresh oil in before you do this. If the shaft doesn't reach get some stock (a metal shaft with the same or close to same dimensions) from home depot that will fit in the pump and use the drill to prime it up.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 PM

That shaft is shaped like a pencil. It has six sides to it I think. Do they sell stuff like that at home depot? If not, where is the best place to buy something like that?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by 13Harleyfan
Try attaching the shaft to a drill and stick it back in the engine and run the drill at a low speed, it sounds like your pump lost it's prime, probably wouldn't hurt to put fresh oil in before you do this. If the shaft doesn't reach get some stock (a metal shaft with the same or close to same dimensions) from home depot that will fit in the pump and use the drill to prime it up.

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly try that in the morning. However, I wanted to ask you if you think the oil pump not being primed would prevent my truck from starting? It will not start now and I checked for spark and I have spark at the distributor from the coil as well as at each cylinder. I also have fuel pressure at the rail but it will not start. Also, do you think running the truck for 5 minutes without the oil pump functioning would damage the valves or engine in any way?

Please let me know. I sure do appreciate your help.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes. What was he solution?
Old 11-13-2020, 04:17 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

he hasnt been on this forum in 6 years...
Old 11-13-2020, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Telepathy

Originally Posted by justintendo
he hasnt been on this forum in 6 years...

Ok Ill try mental telepathy. Thanks

Quick Reply: 1996 F150 4.9L Inline 6 - Distributor and oil pump shaft problem! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!