Topic Sponsor

1996 F150 4.9 300 belt chirp

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 F150 4.9 300 belt chirp

Hey guys, I'm at 110k, and I'm dealing with a kind of annoying belt chirp (not squeal) pretty continuously while I'm driving. The belt seems newer ( I just bought the truck last October) but it's no brand I've heard of. I've tried greasing the belt a little, and that didn't work either. By my inexperienced eye the belt doesn't seem to be out of alignment. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

A couple of things.... With a serpentine belt... NEVER EVER lube the belt with anything, not with a bar of soap or spray lube of any kind NOTHING! You will be better off replacing the belt now. Make sure you clean all the pulleys, drive (grooved) and idler (flat smooth surface) with brake cleaner. Make sure there is no lube residue on any of the pulleys.
An old trick to quieten a noisy belt (only if there is room to safely put your hands near the belt while engine is running) is to take a 3M Roloc Cookie disk (#07480 I beleive) and with a pair of needle nose vice crips clip on to the edge of a disk. With engine running hold the abrasive side of the cookie disk against the ribbed side of the belt for a few seconds until the chirp goes away.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFULL NOT TO GET YOUR HANDS CAUGHT IN THE BELT OR PULLIES, HOLD THE COOKIE AFTER A PULLEY NOT IN FRONT OF IT, OR BETTER YET NO WHERE NEAR A PULLEY IF YOU HAVE THE ROOM. BEAR IN MIND IF YOU DO THIS IT IS OF YOUR OWN VOLITION AND YOUR OWN RISK.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same year same engine and had the same problem. Bought a new belt from auto zone and it was crap. Started chirping again after a week or two. Bought a belt from NAPA and no more noise. Hope this can be a quick fix for you. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Mike11 (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's just a cheap crappy belt. When it's warm and dry out it's relatively quiet, when it's cold and damp out is when it's noisy. Thanks for the imput ya'll.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

My belt was making a chirp sound too. I went to my local parts store and bought the best one they sold (they offered two prices). No more sounds.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:38 PM

Mine was doing this also. I bought a new belt and that fixed the noise for awhile. It recently started squealing/chirping again, so I ended replacing the belt and the tensioner and it fixed it.

Quick Reply: 1996 F150 4.9 300 belt chirp