Topic Sponsor

1996 4.9 crank position sensor bracket

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 4.9 crank position sensor bracket

I need a crank position sensor bracket for a 1996 4.9l to replace a broken one. any help greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by WVUJohn06
I need a crank position sensor bracket for a 1996 4.9l to replace a broken one. any help greatly appreciated.
Where did you find one? I have the same problem.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:02 PM
Energizer Bunny

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ???

Originally Posted by WVUJohn06
Autozone does not lisnot available part number for the crankshaft position sensor. The guy on the phone says the website does not list that the 1996 F150 4.9 2WD even has such a part?
Anyone have a part number i could use to purchase one from another parts store?
Old 01-13-2023, 11:53 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheryl75
Autozone...
Stay OUT of the zone - their parts are garbage & their employees are idiots.
The guy on the phone says...
...whatever the computer on the counter tells him. He probably doesn't know as much about vehicles as you.
Anyone have a part number i could use to purchase one from another parts store?
One what? This thread is about a bracket, which is not a wearing part, so parts stores are not likely to carry it. And since there is no "crank position sensor", you won't find that, either. What they have is a "misfire detection sensor" (MD) which is unique to these '96 1/2-ton trucks, so you're not likely to find it at a parts store, either. Post pics of what you're talking about.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:54 PM
Energizer Bunny

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Misfire detection sensor

Originally Posted by Steve83
Stay OUT of the zone - their parts are garbage & their employees are idiots....whatever the computer on the counter tells him. He probably doesn't know as much about vehicles as you.One what? This thread is about a bracket, which is not a wearing part, so parts stores are not likely to carry it. And since there is no "crank position sensor", you won't find that, either. What they have is a "misfire detection sensor" (MD) which is unique to these '96 1/2-ton trucks, so you're not likely to find it at a parts store, either. Post pics of what you're talking about.
I don't have a picture. Stupid ford and their "unique" parts. Where is this misfire detection sensor on the engine?
Stupid OBD codes shouldn't say crankshaft position sensor if the damn truck doesnt have one.
I am a pretty darn good mechanic with my dad as teacher. He's certified master mechanic of German imports and has done that job since before I was born and I'm 47. He has his own garage, millions of tools, and a great mind. I haven't asked for his help yet, but I will. But if I could get a little help from anyone here, I'd appreciate it. Part number for this "misfire detection sensor" would be nice. I am so confused because to me, a CPS is the same thing.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:29 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I don't have a picture.
Do you have a camera? Like maybe on your phone? Point it at the front of the engine and take several well-lit, focused pics. Then upload the best ones here, and delete the useless ones.
Stupid ford...
Sell yours, and buy a smart Daihatsu or Yugo or Tesla.
..."unique" parts.
Nearly all vehicles have a few unique parts. If that's a deal-breaker for you, buy a horse. But Ford didn't revolutionize & dominate the automotive industry for a century by doing dumb things, so you should just assume that they know more about what they're doing than you ever will, and trust their design until you're a better engineer than Ford hires.
Where is this misfire detection sensor on the engine?
You don't even know where it is, and you're trying to replace it? It's immediately behind the harmonic balancer, in front of the timing cover. This is a '96 V8; I don't have a pic of a '96 4.9L.

(click this text)
Stupid OBD codes shouldn't say crankshaft position sensor if the damn truck doesnt have one.
Look in the mirror. Stupid owners shouldn't blindly trust a cheap generic scantool or its generic definitions of specific fault codes on antique vehicles. Even modern vehicles have unique definitions for some generic code numbers, so again: this is NOT the last time you're likely to see a wrong definition for a code on that scanner. The only use for that scanner is to get the NUMBER; then you (usually) need to find the manufacturer's specific definition for that code on the specific model/engine/options that you're reading the code from. But since you were too busy whining to post the number, I can't tell you the right definition.
I am a pretty darn good mechanic...
You're not giving that impression yet.
...with my dad as teacher. He's certified master mechanic of German imports...
If he's not a certified master INSTRUCTOR, then saying he taught you doesn't mean much. And it means even less if he's not familiar with the vehicle you're working on. He might as well be a certified master dentist. German & European vehicles are engineered VERY differently from US vehicles. Ever notice how many domestic repair shops have signs that say "NO EUROPEAN VEHICLES"? There's a reason...
But if I could get a little help from anyone here, I'd appreciate it.
It sounds like you're saying my first reply wasn't helpful. And before you say this one isn't; take second to read it. Just because I'm not mollycoddling, indulging, & patronizing you doesn't mean I'm not helping you.
Part number for this "misfire detection sensor" would be nice.
Why? You haven't done any diagnosis yet to know if there's anything wrong with the one on your truck. You don't really even know if the code suggests a fault in that circuit (which is as specific as any fault can be - it can't identify a failed part).
I am so confused because to me, a CPS is the same thing.
Then you need to pay closer attention to your father's teaching. Any "position" sensor must indicate the position of the part it's sensing. The MD doesn't do that. It only indicates the (angular) speed of the crankshaft (by indicating when a tooth passes the sensor; the PCM calculates the time between those pulses, and infers changes in crankshaft RPM).

But since the MD tone ring's teeth are all the same size, the PCM can never infer the crank POSITION from the MD, which is why it's not a CPS. For a CPS, one tooth is wider (or narrower) than the others so that the sensor's signal to the PCM is a different duration, indicating the position of the part because the odd tooth is keyed to the part. That's how the PIP (inside the distributor) works.

Last edited by Steve83; 01-14-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:31 PM

I don't have a picture. Stupid ford and their "unique" parts. Where is this misfire detection sensor on the engine?
I am a pretty darn good mechanic with my dad as teacher. He's certified master mechanic of German imports and has done that job since before I was born and I'm 47. He has his own garage, millions of tools, and a great mind. I haven't asked for his help yet, but I will. But if I could get a little help from anyone here, I'd appreciate it. Part number for this "misfire detection sensor" would be nice. I am so confused because to me, a CPS is the same thing.

Old 02-16-2023, 03:41 PM

I needed it too, thanks.

Quick Reply: 1996 4.9 crank position sensor bracket