Topic Sponsor

1988 Won't Stay Running

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Won't Stay Running

I bought a 1988 F150 with the EFI straight six and 5 speed manual from an old man who let it sit for 5 years. After alot of work I got the engine running perfectly off a 5 gallon can hooked up to the inlet of the high pressure pump. After a few minutes, fuel started spewing from the dangling inlet hose to the high pressure pump so I assumed the fuel tank pump was good. The fuel in the tank has been siphoned empty and new fuel added. When I try to run the truck off its own fuel, it will run for a few minutes great, then die. After it dies, it won't restart. If I switch back to the 5 gallon can, it runs great again. Does this mean my tank pump is bad or am I missing something?
Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If there is some type of screen on the pick up tube of the in tank pump, it may be clogged and not letting any/not enough fuel through. It's sounding like either way, the pump will need to come out.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mid tank fuel pump assembly lost its float somewhere, the level sender was rusted stuck with all the wires corroded in 2 and dangling, and the tank was rusted beyond repair on the inside. I'm glad the pump didn't work so I could find this out... I am replacing the center tank. I removed the rear tank for good. Apparently it went bad 15 years ago. Now the truck doesn't smell from 20 feet away.

Quick Reply: 1988 Won't Stay Running