Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring problem

On my 2014 Screw, I had a set of flush mount leds put in the bumper. I had a stereo shop install them. When you put it in reverse with the motor running, the lights flash then go off. If you turn the motor off and put it in reverse, the lights stay on. The rear view camera also stays on longer after you shift into drive.

Anyone have any ideas? I have only had this truck since Thanksgiving and to be honest, I never checked to see if the backup lights light up. I just know it was too dark back there.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

You need to figure out where the stereo shop hacked into your truck's wiring to control the new lights. Sounds like they did something stupid. They should have tapped the existing power wire for the backup lights in the tail lights for control and run fused power from the battery for power, sounds like they did something different.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pugga
You need to figure out where the stereo shop hacked into your truck's wiring to control the new lights. Sounds like they did something stupid. They should have tapped the existing power wire for the backup lights in the tail lights for control and run fused power from the battery for power, sounds like they did something different.
So, the lights need more power than the tail light circuit provides?
Old 03-22-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

You would need to know the specs for the assemblies you bought,and how they connected them .
If you paid them,make them do it properly.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by crabo
So, the lights need more power than the tail light circuit provides?
Most auxiliary lights draw more than I'd feel comfortable jumping off an existing circuit. Without seeing your lights, I can't say for sure but I can say that directly tapping off the reverse light circuit at the tail light isn't the what I'd say is the correct way to do it. I try to avoid forcing an existing circuit to power something beyond what it was intended to. I also don't think that's what your shop did because it wouldn't explain the issues you're having. It sounds like they tied into something related to your camera or backup sensors. Your first step is to figure out where the lights are pulling power from and what's controlling them.

Quick Reply: Wiring problem