Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

What aftermarket headlight will work with Pre existing LED bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What aftermarket headlight will work with Pre existing LED bulbs

HI all,

i have MARK 2 CREE LED system from F150LEDS.com and i want a new headlight but I'm afraid these bulbs will only work with the old style reflector headlights. is this true? according to F150LEDs any aftermarket headlight that accepts the OEM bulbs will work, but i do not know what aftermarket headlights accept the OEM bulbs. Thanks all.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Okay so here are a few things

1) I had the Mark II... did not like them, had issues with them flickering and water got in my housing, sent them back. I started my company due to my experience there (great customer service from them though).

2) They now sell a Mark III system I believe, which is the same LED kit I sell (they must have found out I was selling mine, and sourced them from overseas also). They charge more then I do and from what I know, don't give you a bigger boot (the boot they give has a hole in it, that lets water in). I provide a full size, solid boot

Now... onto how these things work.

You can't just put the bulb in and use your factory wiring. They won't work. The connectors are different. HOWEVER you do get a ballast WITH your bulb, as you know from the Mark II. Same concept on all high end LED bulbs. The lower end LED bulbs ARE direct replacements, but they are designed mainly for fogs or are an older style (not a lot of light output). Just like if you'd buy a replacement halogen bulb, a 9005 bulb fits the 9005 opening. Same with LED's. If there is no ballast, it'll fit. If it requires a ballast, it'll still fit. The bulb itself fits in the opening BUT the wiring is different. The bulb wires to the ballast, and the ballast to your car. It's the ballast that has the correct wiring connector now to connect to your factory wiring. So it's all "plug and play"

IF You decide to buy say on a 2015 the Anzo headlights and you had LED bulbs already. They will NOT work. The reason is, the bulb sizes are different. 2015 F-150's use an H11 in the low beam. On the Anzo, it's an H7 bulb I believe. So the H11 bulb will not screw into the H7 housing as an example. (I don't know if it's H7 but you get the idea right?). Different model bulb for THAT housing.

There have been debates about putting LED's in a housing designed for halogen. That's poppy ****. They work great. The Mark II you have, don't work that great. Older system, not the greatest light output.

The kit I sell is the LATEST on the market and is one hot seller. Ask anybody who's bought the kit, they all have good things to say. Even on the earlier trucks that use an H13 bulb, they are awesome. Adjustable beam and bulb makes it a great setup.

So if you are in the market to upgrade, check out my site. There are links on there for the various Ford years, you'll be happy with them.

Last edited by 230748; 05-21-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by _mtg_
HI all, i have MARK 2 CREE LED system from F150LEDS.com and i want a new headlight but I'm afraid these bulbs will only work with the old style reflector headlights. is this true? according to F150LEDs any aftermarket headlight that accepts the OEM bulbs will work, but i do not know what aftermarket headlights accept the OEM bulbs. Thanks all.
Ignore most of the sales pitch and sift through it and there is a partial answer.

You just need to know what number your current bulbs are and then search to see if the aftermarket heads you want accept them.

An example, if you have H13 bulbs then only housings using H13 mounting will work.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Ignore most of the sales pitch and sift through it and there is a partial answer.

You just need to know what number your current bulbs are and then search to see if the aftermarket heads you want accept them.

An example, if you have H13 bulbs then only housings using H13 mounting will work.
I didn't see a sales pitch in there. I saw good information. OP, the vendor is correct.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
I didn't see a sales pitch in there. I saw good information. OP, the vendor is correct.
Then you obviously did not read the last two paragraphs on his post.

He's in every thread pushing his stuff.

And it's not poppycock that LEDs don't work in halogen reflective housings. There's a reason Ford and several other manufactured put big R&D into creating specific housings for their LED lamps! If it works so great wouldn't you think all these manufactured would just use cheap drop in bulbs and add more to their profit margin?

Last edited by RES4CUE; 05-22-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

The only good led bulb for our trucks has the adjustable/rotational ability. 4x4truckleds has that. I have bought from him after bashing him. I have to say, he is the most attentive vendor I have ever dealt with. 100% perfect customer attention. Cant even say that for the highly regarded TRS.....I will buy from him every time price can be matched (even matched and beat ALL other prices for me). He is that good of a vendor.
The following users liked this post:
FRFJIMBO (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 06:03 AM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Then you obviously did not read the last two paragraphs on his post.

He's in every thread pushing his stuff.

And it's not poppycock that LEDs don't work in halogen reflective housings. There's a reason Ford and several other manufactured put big R&D into creating specific housings for their LED lamps! If it works so great wouldn't you think all these manufactured would just use cheap drop in bulbs and add more to their profit margin?
I have spoken with this vendor before and he's cooled it down a lot. You cannot expect a vendor to not advertise here and there. That's literally their job. Out of the nine paragraphs, seven were informational, two had sales info. Stop complaining.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
I have spoken with this vendor before and he's cooled it down a lot. You cannot expect a vendor to not advertise here and there. That's literally their job. Out of the nine paragraphs, seven were informational, two had sales info. Stop complaining.
Here and there is one thing but go look on other threads. It's the same MO. Hell, the last time he posted in the vendors section was back in the beginning of the month and it was for stickers! Not even LEDs!

So he's going from thread to thread trying to sell his stuff instead of using the vendor section like most if not all other vendors.

I said before, probably in another one of his sales pitch threads because there are so many, this is "ambulance chasing" at best and you don't see other vendors doing this. I understand modest advertising but just as me complaining about his sales pitch threads is old so are his constant sales pitch threads.

If his products and service are top notch then let the people speak to it. F150lifts.com is an example of great vendorship and it has paid off for them. There are threads started by members singing their praise, there's members suggesting their company and products. You don't see them jumping into every single suspension thread to sell their stuff. If they do speak up its relevant and they don't push one thing over another. I've seen them tell people that their shocks may not be the right fit for what the customer wants and recommends another brand.

Quick Reply: What aftermarket headlight will work with Pre existing LED bulbs