Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Want to add LED lighting to the inside of tail lamps and headlamps.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Want to add LED lighting to the inside of tail lamps and headlamps.

Does anyone know if this is an easy task and if its costly? I have seen many trucks with LED lighting to accent the headlights and tailights. I think it looks good and would like to add it to my truck. Here is an example I saw.
Attached Thumbnails Want to add LED lighting to the inside of tail lamps and headlamps.-2009-2014-ford-f150-raptor-led-tail-light39s-2015-factory-look-f150-led-tail-lights.jpg  
Old 11-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Did you do any searches? LED light threads pop like 5x or more a week
Old 11-12-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
Did you do any searches? LED light threads pop like 5x or more a week
I did look some, but couldn't find out to actually do it.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Not many threads because most good kits that are worth their salt have good instructions. Don't skimp or go eBay cheap. Get a GOOD kit from a GOOD company so it'll match the resistance of your incandescent bulbs and the instructions and company support will be worth a damn.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LaMartian
Not many threads because most good kits that are worth their salt have good instructions. Don't skimp or go eBay cheap. Get a GOOD kit from a GOOD company so it'll match the resistance of your incandescent bulbs and the instructions and company support will be worth a damn.
Did you read the original post at all? He's not looking for an LED bulb replacement, he's looking to add accent strips to OEM housings. There's no resistance to match, it'd be all custom wiring.

Fordman, search 'retrofit' and you'll find threads on how to open up the headlights. The threads will be focused on adding projectors, but you can use the same process for adding LED accents. On the tail lights, I'm not sure what's involved in opening them up.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugga
Did you read the original post at all? He's not looking for an LED bulb replacement, he's looking to add accent strips to OEM housings. There's no resistance to match, it'd be all custom wiring.

Fordman, search 'retrofit' and you'll find threads on how to open up the headlights. The threads will be focused on adding projectors, but you can use the same process for adding LED accents. On the tail lights, I'm not sure what's involved in opening them up.
You can't bake the taillights like you can with the headlights. You actually have to cut open the oem tails. Your only other option is to buy an aftermarket set, those can be baked.

There is a YouTube video out there of a guy doing it.

Retro customz does a a lot of retrofitting with F150s and he said he no longer retros oems taillights.

The picture you posted is of work done by thelightingfirm.net
Check them out. I know they used to supply stage3motorsports.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by FSU-150
You can't bake the taillights like you can with the headlights. You actually have to cut open the oem tails. Your only other option is to buy an aftermarket set, those can be baked.

There is a YouTube video out there of a guy doing it.

Retro customz does a a lot of retrofitting with F150s and he said he no longer retros oems taillights.

The picture you posted is of work done by thelightingfirm.net
Check them out. I know they used to supply stage3motorsports.
I heard from a buddy to bake it, but i'm glad you posted this because I'm going to be very cautious about what I do. I don't want to purchase an aftermarket one so I will look at that site and see. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Want to add LED lighting to the inside of tail lamps and headlamps.