Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Upgrading the OEM Projectors '13+

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Default Upgrading the OEM Projectors '13+

So I'm looking at buying a new '13 FX4 with the OEM projectors. I know they're good, but what if I wanted to make them even better? I know Bilinvic can do them, but that requires sending them to him, and getting another pair for the meantime. Are there any upgrades that the average person can do to the OEM projectors without taking them apart or doing anything crazy?

I searched for a similar thread for a little bit and didn't find anything, so sorry if this is a repost.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by goneFXcrazy
So I'm looking at buying a new '13 FX4 with the OEM projectors. I know they're good, but what if I wanted to make them even better? I know Bilinvic can do them, but that requires sending them to him, and getting another pair for the meantime. Are there any upgrades that the average person can do to the OEM projectors without taking them apart or doing anything crazy?

I searched for a similar thread for a little bit and didn't find anything, so sorry if this is a repost.

Only thing we can do is change the bulbs, the projectors are not removable without cooking them to soften the glue that holds the lens on. I paid 1300 bux for mine and I am not cooking them lol. Honestly though they are more than bright enough for my old eyes, I can see great at night compared to the halogens I replaced. Have never even used high beams because they are that good.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Only thing we can do is change the bulbs, the projectors are not removable without cooking them to soften the glue that holds the lens on. I paid 1300 bux for mine and I am not cooking them lol. Honestly though they are more than bright enough for my old eyes, I can see great at night compared to the halogens I replaced. Have never even used high beams because they are that good.

Ya I've seen some videos on the construction of the internals, and they seem pretty cheaply built.... I was originally going to get Bil to do some retros for me, but then the possibility of me trading up to a '13 came up.

Just the bulbs? Could you upgrade the ballasts and everything or is that internal on the OEM lights?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:35 PM
MAH

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

gone,

As far as I know, you would have to pull (or melt as is the case here)them apart. There are a couple of guys that will do this for you for a price, but the light assemblies are just not made for retrofitting or in your case projector upgrading without some plastic surgery.

The good news is they can be made better, the bad is that it is not for the faint of heart.

Check out to the threads "Billinvic's Awesome Retrofits" or "Hella EVOX-R Projector Retrofit".
Old 09-30-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by MAH
gone,

As far as I know, you would have to pull (or melt as is the case here)them apart. There are a couple of guys that will do this for you for a price, but the light assemblies are just not made for retrofitting or in your case projector upgrading without some plastic surgery.

The good news is they can be made better, the bad is that it is not for the faint of heart.

Check out to the threads "Billinvic's Awesome Retrofits" or "Hella EVOX-R Projector Retrofit".
Ya I'm familiar with the full retro's, I'm specifically looking for something that I can do without taking it apart, thanks though. You guys are confirming what I already expected........ Oh well, it'll still be better than my current 2012's halogens.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:56 PM

it'll still be better than my current 2012's halogens.

By 10 miles better, never realized what I wasn't seeing before with halogen.

Halogen = candle
HID projectors = Sun

No joke.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 PM

Ya I've seen some videos on the construction of the internals, and they seem pretty cheaply built.... I was originally going to get Bil to do some retros for me, but then the possibility of me trading up to a '13 came up.

Just the bulbs? Could you upgrade the ballasts and everything or is that internal on the OEM lights?
The ballast are removable as well. Far as upgrading them I'm not certain but I do remember one of the other members here saying you could change to a different setup but I have no idea what.

The way the oem's work I can't justify spending any extra on them.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
The ballast are removable as well. Far as upgrading them I'm not certain but I do remember one of the other members here saying you could change to a different setup but I have no idea what. The way the oem's work I can't justify spending any extra on them. .
Ya I was hoping for a simple inexpensive upgrade, but as I expected, short of replacing half the light, they're already good enough.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM
F150 Forum

Received 550 Likes on 377 Posts

Keep in mind, the bulbs and ballasts have to match...the OEM ballasts and bulbs are D3S. In the retrofit world, D2S is preferred, better selection of performance lighting. The most effective component to change out is the projector, getting rid of the OEM Fresnel lens and putting in clear lenses.

In fact, I am currently working on a pair of '13 FX heads with no cosmetic changes, just swapping out the projectors bulbs and ballasts. True OEM appearance with maximum output.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by bilinvic Retrofits
The most effective component to change out is the projector, getting rid of the OEM Fresnel lens and putting in clear lenses.
Do you mean to say the OEM lens isn't clear? Is it kinda smoky by design, or as a result of lower quality?

How big is the change from D3S to D2S?

Quick Reply: Upgrading the OEM Projectors '13+