Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Upgrading non-HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Upgrading non-HID headlights

I've searched, but it seems like all of the results are threads about installing HID into non-HID housings. And I don't want to deal with that BS.

I'm looking for info on replacement non-HID bulbs for headlights and fogs. Since I installed the LED lights behind my dash, the OEM lights are ugly *** yellow.

Are there non-HID bulbs out there that are whiter? I don't want to go to a HID plug and play, just wanted info on basic halogen replacement bulbs.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by bodam
I've searched, but it seems like all of the results are threads about installing HID into non-HID housings. And I don't want to deal with that BS.

I'm looking for info on replacement non-HID bulbs for headlights and fogs. Since I installed the LED lights behind my dash, the OEM lights are ugly *** yellow.

Are there non-HID bulbs out there that are whiter? I don't want to go to a HID plug and play, just wanted info on basic halogen replacement bulbs.

Hi.

Yep.

Phillips Extreme power H13

Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H13

GE Nitehawk Platinum H13

For fogs, just use these: http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/fog-l...45-1-pair.html

VLEDS has a Promo going on right now - 15% off. Hurry!

Other options - both LED and Halogen for the FOGS, are in here: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/instal...lights-241114/

good luck

Last edited by MGD; 02-17-2014 at 09:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Joel_980 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 AM

thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts

Here is an output shot of Silverstar Ultras in the headlights and Silverstars in the fog lights. I dont have any face on shots, but I never really thought those did any good anyway.

Low beams on top, high beams on bottom.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading non-HID headlights-halogen-low.jpg   Upgrading non-HID headlights-halogen-high.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
feller (02-20-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can vouch for the Phillips Xtreme vision. I've tried Sylvania's and was quite dissapointed. Basically unnoticeable difference, other than people flashing me, since they needed to be re-aimed. The Phillips were instantly noticeable though. Nice wide beam pattern and clean white light. No aiming necessary

They won't last as long, but whats $30-50 a year for far better and safer lighting.

Last edited by Sherwood; 02-18-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM

Also, this is just my $0.02 so take it or leave it, the reason people become unhappy after installing an LED light bar (myself included) is because we are mixing lights which are at completely opposite ends of the color temperature spectrum. The LED's tend to almost entirely cancel out the halogen's, yet don't throw as far or focused a beam as halogens. There is ton's of hype around them, they look cool, but they excell only at flood lighting, not long distance. I've also noticed, at least for me personally, the glare they give off does not help my eyes adjust properly.

Want an effective lighting set up, and for a fraction the cost of one LED light bar? Get some KC Apollo 150Watt Halogen's and the Phillips bulbs for your headlights. Under $200 and incredibly bright and far reaching.

Last edited by Sherwood; 02-18-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherwood
I can vouch for the Phillips Xtreme vision. I've tried Sylvania's and was quite dissapointed. Basically unnoticeable difference, other than people flashing me, since they needed to be re-aimed. The Phillips were instantly noticeable though. Nice wide beam pattern and clean white light.

They won't last as long, but whats $30-50 a year for far better and safer lighting.
This is true. A lot of folks don't realize the output drops off over time as well.

good luck
MGD
Old 02-18-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherwood
I can vouch for the Phillips Xtreme vision. I've tried Sylvania's and was quite dissapointed. Basically unnoticeable difference, other than people flashing me, since they needed to be re-aimed. The Phillips were instantly noticeable though. Nice wide beam pattern and clean white light. No aiming necessary They won't last as long, but whats $30-50 a year for far better and safer lighting.
I'm not sure how you could possibly call the Sylvanias an "unnoticeable difference" over stock. There is a world of difference. The photos I posted above are of the silverstar ultras. Are you saying that stock halogen bulbs will put out that light? I can't imagine many people wanting to replace their stock bulbs if that was the case, unless they were upgrading to HID.

There was no re-aiming needed, and I was never flashed with them.

If you are careful in the install, clean the bulbs with alcohol, wear gloves, and do not touch the glass, they should last plenty long. I ran them in my 04 F150 for the 3 years I had it, ran them in my 01 mustang for a year, ran them in my 04 mustang for 2 years, and ran them in my 06 f150 for 2 years. Never had a bulb go out on me and never had any appreciable loss of output in any of them. I also had them in my 13 F150 for a year without issue, till I installed my OEM HIDs. I cannot speak to the Philips bulbs notes, as I've always had good luck with the Silverstars and SS Ultras, so I never tried them.

Last edited by bigred90gt; 02-18-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:18 PM

Good info guys
Old 02-18-2014, 05:33 PM

Cool man, was just my personal experience. I couldn't tell the difference with the ultras. I'm quite pleased with the Phillips. I have no reason to be biased, trust me I would much rather pay for the cheaper Sylvania's.
As for installing them properly, it's not rocket science. Regardless of how they are installed, they will not last as long due to the simple fact they are burning at a higher output. I have two f150's with the two different bulbs, it's very easy for me to make a quick direct comparison. The Phillips are brighter and have a better beam pattern.

Last edited by Sherwood; 02-18-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading non-HID headlights