Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Tail light problems..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Tail light problems..

I have recon tail lights that I am having a problem with. The problem is that only the bottom part of the brake lights come on. I called recon and they said that I had a bad resistor. They sent me new resistors for the the tail lights I installed them in line like they said. It worked until I turned on my blinker while pressing on the brakes, and of course the electronics thinks that I have a bad tail light so my blinkers blinks 100 times a minute. I also have a trailer hitch light that I put in. Not sure if that might be a problem. Any help would be great.

Thank you in advance..

2012 Ford F150 FX4
Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 PM
D-H

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I had the red smoked Recon tail lights on my '09 F-150. I had a very similar problem from time to time with just the left tail light. I'd get the rapid turn signal, and when I activated the turn signal and got out to look at the light, it would either only light up one half or they would alternate. I never installed the load resistors on mine. So I pulled the assembly out for a closer look. It's been a while since I had to do this but I remember I disconnected one of the plugs, and there was a tab/connecter in the plug that I would have to slightly bend to make it more snug when I plugged it back in.

I really liked Recon's products but I had to do this twice in the 10 or so months that I had those tail lights. I'm on the fence right now about getting a set for my '13 F-150. The stock tail lights do bug me a lot, but they at least work.

Good luck fixing yours.
The following users liked this post:
crash78 (11-19-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 82 Likes on 81 Posts

I wouldn't waste a cent on anything recon, it's all over priced and a hit or miss when it comes to quality
Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for my late reply.. . I feel stupid. I scratched my head for weeks about this. I disconnected the plug and reconnected it and walla they work. So I took a zip tie and tied the plugs together. No problems out of them yet. Been only 2 months.. I agree with you D-H I do like the way the look. But on my headlights sometimes one of my LEDs is off and sometimes its on. I on the fence too. but I have them now and sold all my stock lights.

Last edited by crash78; 11-19-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Tail light problems..