Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Stock HID's swapped for Retrofit heads...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stock HID's swapped for Retrofit heads...

I'm looking to build a set of retrofit heads and swap them out with my stock HID's. Reason being its my daily driver and can't got a week to 10 days of not having my headlights in. The big question that keeps coming up is this: Will the Non-HID heads fit into a 2013 FX4 that came with HIDs??

I'm getting conflicting answers from Ford and definitely want to know before I spend a ton of money on heads I can't use. I'll still be using the stock wiring, ballasts, and bulbs.

Thanks for any help!!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksbowtech
I'm looking to build a set of retrofit heads and swap them out with my stock HID's. Reason being its my daily driver and can't got a week to 10 days of not having my headlights in. The big question that keeps coming up is this: Will the Non-HID heads fit into a 2013 FX4 that came with HIDs??

I'm getting conflicting answers from Ford and definitely want to know before I spend a ton of money on heads I can't use. I'll still be using the stock wiring, ballasts, and bulbs.

Thanks for any help!!
Non HID heads will fit since the styling is the same but your HID wiring will not be compatible with non HID lights (halogen).
Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

Interested in selling the stock 2013 lights when youre done?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Check out this thread on how to make the wire harness for OEM HIDs in a truck equipped with halogen lights.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/oem-hid-wiring-186588/

I guess you could try to reverse engineer the harness. I think you might be SOL.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

Why are you taking out the OEM HID's for retrofitted ones? Seems like a huge waste of money to me.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I should clarify. I'd love to have LED's and an upgraded projector put in my stock HID heads, but I can't figure out a way to do it and not be out of headlights for atleast 10 days. The stock Halogen heads offer a ton of possibilities for retrofitting. I wouldn't need a new harness as I would just plug my HID bulb into whatever projector I decided to use. No change to the lighting per se, just the look of the headlight itself. I read on several dealer webpages that the non-hid heads wouldn't bolt into a 2013 with stock HID's. That's the basis of my post. If I can come up with the time I will just take my heads out and have them done, but that's not highly likely with being in Residency and in the National Guard. I can get stock halogen heads for ~200$ and source the rest of the parts from RFS. Definitely want to do my homework before just randomly ordering parts.

I appreciate the info guys!

And if I end up going with halogens retrofitted I'd definitely sell the stock HIDs...

Quick Reply: Stock HID's swapped for Retrofit heads...