Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Rigid Light Bar Wiring to Auto On/Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rigid Light Bar Wiring to Auto On/Off

I just bought a Rigid Light bar and am going to Install it into the bumper on my 2011 F-150 FX4 Screw. I want to wire it so the lights will come on and off automatically like the headlights and fog lights do. I want to keep it independent from the Lows and High's so i was thinking of the running lights.

I also want to know how to wire the lights / what you guys have tapped into to make the lights work properly.

I am no stranger to wiring and electrical work just want to make sure I wire this up correctly.

I have posted the Relay included with my light bar harness and the three wires (RED, BLUE, BLACK) that go to the switch they provided as well as the Red and Black to the battery. I am not sure whether to take the positive that goes to the battery and tap it into an Auto On Off or take the positive that goes to the switch and tap that into an Auto On Off or if there is something else I am missing. Please let me know your thoughts and or suggestions.

Best Regards,
Will

http://0740ce6d73f7d30ee625-b1d34294.../photo%204.JPG

http://0740ce6d73f7d30ee625-b1d34294.../photo%205.JPG

http://0740ce6d73f7d30ee625-b1d34294.../photo%202.JPG
Old 08-06-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

I am pretty sure the red you connect to a hot source like the positive on the battery, the black to a ground, and the blue to your switched power source. (If I remember right the red is your power into the relay, and the blue is the output from the switch, in that case the blue would be able to go directly to the switched power like a fuse bank and no need for red).

I would say that the lights are retty damn bright, it would be good to add the switch in somewhere as to not blind someone with it if its a running light. I have mine on a seperate switch source, so I have running lights, brights, and obnoxious as options haha.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rob1334
I am pretty sure the red you connect to a hot source like the positive on the battery, the black to a ground, and the blue to your switched power source. (If I remember right the red is your power into the relay, and the blue is the output from the switch, in that case the blue would be able to go directly to the switched power like a fuse bank and no need for red).

I would say that the lights are retty damn bright, it would be good to add the switch in somewhere as to not blind someone with it if its a running light. I have mine on a seperate switch source, so I have running lights, brights, and obnoxious as options haha.

Yea I want to have it switched for sure. I bought this light switch https://www.otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=VVPZC12-5LB
So the intention is to have the lights switched Auto On and Off when the switch in the Cabin is left in the On position so I need to figure out how to do that.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM

Easy, tap the hot lead to a fused source using an add a fuse circuit or tap into a hot wire with the red, run that to the lead hot in the switch and run the blue into the switched on from the switch to the light. I guess if you decide what source you want to use for the light; a quick splice adaptor, a fuse and then run your red "hot" from there to your switch.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 PM

Easy, tap the hot lead to a fused source using an add a fuse circuit or tap into a hot wire with the red, run that to the lead hot in the switch and run the blue into the switched on from the switch to the light. I guess if you decide what source you want to use for the light; a quick splice adaptor, a fuse and then run your red "hot" from there to your switch.
Rob,,

First off, I have never seen anyone else with the ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ on here. I have had that sticker and a Liberty or Death Sticker on the back of my truck for two years. Pretty cool to see.

Just to clarify, I am taking the Power that would go to the battery and connecting that to an auto On/Off such as the Running Lights. I was thinking of tapping into those as they are not interrupted by using the High/Lows. Or am I Using the Red that runs into the switch to Tap into the Auto On/Off. The Red that would normally run to the batter is already fused BTW.

Picture on Link:
http://0740ce6d73f7d30ee625-b1d34294....com/photo.JPG

Thank you again for all your help.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Hell yes on the ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!!

Honestly, clip the end of the red wire loop off, snap it into the quick splice wires behind those lights, and run the rest of the wiring harness through your switch instead of the rigid one. Should be pretty easy wiring that way.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:46 PM

Hell yes on the ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!!

Honestly, clip the end of the red wire loop off, snap it into the quick splice wires behind those lights, and run the rest of the wiring harness through your switch instead of the rigid one. Should be pretty easy wiring that way.
Yea thats what I was thinking of doing. Just wasn't sure if Taping into a wire would give it enough power.

I will try it and see what happens.

Thanks again for the help man.

-Will

Quick Reply: Rigid Light Bar Wiring to Auto On/Off