Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Review: VLEDs.com LED reverse and cargo lights, A++!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Review: VLEDs.com LED reverse and cargo lights, A++!

My philosophy is that if you are upgrading your bulbs to LEDs that the brake lights and turn signal bulbs should stay at about the same brightness as the stock bulbs, but the reverse lights, cargo lights, headlights and fog lights should all be as bright as you can possibly get (while retaining the stock light source location so the reflector housings are still properly utilized without glare).

I decided to experiment with the reverse and cargo lights before trying the more expensive headlights and fogs.

I was somewhat skeptical about LEDs because in my experience they've always been dimmer than I expected, always a dissappointment. But, these had a high lumens value and are advertised to put the light into the right location in the reflector bowls.

Take a look and see for yourself how things turned out.

Name:  IMG_20160804_2207065.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20160804_2211485.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  159.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20160804_2216068.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20160804_2225135.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  165.6 KB

Same night, same truck, same camera location, no manual changes to the camera settings except I disabled the flash.

And, I didn't expect it, but I was very pleased to see the cargo lights dim in and out EXACTLY like the halogens do. A very nice and very smooth fade in and fade out that mirrored my interior lights (still halogen) precisely.

These bulbs are LEGIT.

Cargo light bulbs used:
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbe...79-1-pair.html

Reverse light bulbs used:
http://www.vleds.com/3156-white-5k-ho.html
The following users liked this post:
Tlars (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

I'm in the same mindset as you. I like my taillights/blinkers about the same lumen as stock (not a fan of the VERY bright ones). So I use less lumen bulbs from Diode Dynamics in my truck. For the reverse/headlights of course I went with the brightest.

Never heard of vleds.com though.

The reverse lights you showed us... I actually used to use. I got them from... well let's just say "the other" guy who sells LED Headlights. I never realized they were not that great until I put in the Diode Dynamic XP80 reverse, HOLY CRAP BATMAN (as I call it) were they brighter.... so yeah, there are brighter bulbs out there.

Also I doubt those are 1000 lumen for the price. DD will chime in saying they just "do the math" on the bulbs and multiply the # of LED chips by the wattage to get 1000, it's not actually 1000 i'd recon, at least not for the price.

BUT if you are happy with them that's actually all that matters. They may not be as bright as others but you are happy and for the price you paid how can you go wrong right? Very inexpensive bulbs and they DID make a difference so in the end, it worked out. They may be great for a lot of people who don't have a lot of money to spend
Old 08-05-2016, 10:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
Also I doubt those are 1000 lumen for the price. DD will chime in saying they just "do the math" on the bulbs and multiply the # of LED chips by the wattage to get 1000, it's not actually 1000 i'd recon, at least not for the price.
I did ask them to verify if they are measuring the lumens or just adding up the lumens value of all the individual chips, and they said that is a measured value of the assembled bulb.

I'd love to see the XP80's then, if they are brighter than these. These are such a huge improvement over the incandescent bulbs.

Hey, whats the latest on the headlights H13 and H10 fogs? Whats the brightest available these days (in lumens)?

I see stuff on Amazon that advertises 4000 lumens per bulb, is that BS?
Old 08-05-2016, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Of course they said that, but at that price I highly doubt it

6000 lumen... and if you see systems saying 10000 lumen they are lies... it's 6000 combined lumen, raw (actual #'s i don't know, so again that 3000 per bulb, 6000 total is just math of course)

Anybody sayin 12000 lumen's is just looking at "6000 lumen" onthe bulb and doing it twice, but it's actually 3000 per bulb raw.

4000 lumens per bulb MIGHT be possible but it all depends on the kit. You need a GOOD cut-off as well not just a lot of light
Old 08-08-2016, 10:48 AM
F150 Lighting Experts

Received 405 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by rkneeshaw
I did ask them to verify if they are measuring the lumens or just adding up the lumens value of all the individual chips, and they said that is a measured value of the assembled bulb.

I'd love to see the XP80's then, if they are brighter than these. These are such a huge improvement over the incandescent bulbs.

Hey, whats the latest on the headlights H13 and H10 fogs? Whats the brightest available these days (in lumens)?

I see stuff on Amazon that advertises 4000 lumens per bulb, is that BS?
I suggest visiting our research section if you'd like to learn more information about automotive lighting: http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/research-1.html

This page in particular explains LED brightness: http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/r...rightness.html

This video explains how LED brightness is measured here at Diode Dynamics:

In short, none of the products you see with rounded lumen numbers like 4000, 5000, 6000, are even close to being accurate.

Nick C.

Quick Reply: Review: VLEDs.com LED reverse and cargo lights, A++!