Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Retro-Systems HID kit #new

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retro-Systems HID kit #new

--I don't know why I put systems, but it is supposed to be Retro-Solutions as the thread name. Sorry!

Ordered my kit on Christmas, got it yesterday(Monday.)

Install was really easy, but i had trouble putting the the fittings for the bulbs in the headlights. I got the black housing ones off eBay, the rubber had fo pushed down for it to fit in all the way to be able to turn/lock the bulb in, the i pulled it back up around the fitting and its very snug in there.

The kit I got:

As stating in the title
Retro-Systems
55w Digital Ballasts
6000k Cool White bulbs (to match my white truck)
Bi-xenon Hi/Low
Didn't get the capping.

Cost like $167
And it was sent by USPS, with $50 insurance. I'm guessing 50 was from the price of everything to go towards the safty of the shipping.

I got everything to fit in place for now (tie wrapped). Except the ballasts, I had to look online to know where a good place would be to place them. But then I found my own spot. When i get a day off to myself I'll go back and redo the wire routing for everything.

I really like the important looking box it comes in lol. And all the wires were in that thick-like plastic coating for each run of wires going to its destination. Again the box, everything is nice and neat in there.

I'd post a few pics of the kit and where i mounted, but I don't see anyway to do it right now...on my phone. But I will find a way soon!

EDIT:

-left ballast

-right ballast

Dad and I just drilled some little holes for the screws that came with the kit, with the bolt head UNDER and the nut on TOP. because it was easy to tighten it, and will be to loosen if need. (Just FYI)

Last edited by LA4x492; 01-02-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 AM
MAH

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I am assuming that there are no projectors with this set up. If not, this will be extremely bright to oncoming traffic no mater how you aim them. Perhaps I have missed something and you already have projectors. If not, would advise against this setup.
The following users liked this post:
Delz (01-06-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 02:48 PM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MAH
I am assuming that there are no projectors with this set up. If not, this will be extremely bright to oncoming traffic no mater how you aim them. Perhaps I have missed something and you already have projectors. If not, would advise against this setup.
I fail to see the logic in this... the housing's shape designed to project the light forward with a stock bulb... increasing the output of the bulb will not affect how the light comes out of the light housing.

Why would putting a brighter HID bulb in there change the way the light comes out?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:00 PM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by byte
I fail to see the logic in this... the housing's shape designed to project the light forward with a stock bulb... increasing the output of the bulb will not affect how the light comes out of the light housing. Why would putting a brighter HID bulb in there change the way the light comes out?
It's pretty simple. Different shapes of bulb and different location of the light center.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 PM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by lewis26
It's pretty simple. Different shapes of bulb and different location of the light center.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
lol written by a guy selling light bulbs...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html
Old 01-01-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly man, I wish it weren't true too, but even with zero research, I can tell you from experience driving in front of or toward oncoming vehicles with non projected HID's, they have an excessive amount of glare and are annoyingly bright.

This is the entire purpose of projectors, and why they are used with HID's so often, they provide a super clean cut off point so you don't blind oncoming traffic. F150's are already notorious for having excessive glare for such a low output.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-left ballast
http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/...psf8d41348.jpg
-right ballast
http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/...ps09f57297.jpg
-just the kit
http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3b8ab584.jpg

And no, I used the black housing aftermarket OEM style headlights.
Reason? I don't drive very much during the night. I work out of town most of the time, so I'm staying in a hotel or rent place, so I pretty much work from morning till about an hour before dark. I only drive at night on weekends I'm home and that's in the country and back roads, highways that don't have much traffic or right in town to the store or something. If I ever need anything, I get it done during the day 95% of the time.

Its been a bit cloudy, so they've been running a little bit with the auto lights turned on during the day. I've been using and going to be using them as/for looks. That's the reason I didn't go with the retrofit or "proper" housing for them, because of the minor and very little use of them actually being on in the pure dark. And going to the camp or offroading. Hope that clears up some misunderstandings or anything being concerned about brightness.

Also, on another note, I'd like to mention they aren't illegal being used in the day, even if cloudy or darkened a bit(if anyone already knows, or before someone say something) because they are/would be used as looks and not a direct light source to help me see or drive better. So a cop isn't really going to give me a ticket about it, espescially when there are so many people around here that have them.
Anyway, I hope the pictures I set through photobucket work.

Last edited by LA4x492; 01-02-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:22 AM

lol written by a guy selling light bulbs...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html
The engineering behind it is the same regardless of who posts it.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/20-...out-there.html

Plenty of other sources that show the same data.

The bulb shape and light source shape is NOT the same, and the reflector is clearly designed for the halogen light center, and not the HID light arc.
The following users liked this post:
arent_we_sarcastic (01-08-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 AM
MAH

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Exclamation Your kidding, right?

I fail to see the logic in this... the housing's shape designed to project the light forward with a stock bulb... increasing the output of the bulb will not affect how the light comes out of the light housing.

Why would putting a brighter HID bulb in there change the way the light comes out?
Now I am not an expert on light output, but I can tell you very clearly that I have personally seen many halogen headlights converted to HID without the additional cost of installing projectors and without one exception, they were all either very annoying to oncoming traffic or downright blinding to the point of being a very real traffic hazard.

Please be aware that just because you "can" retro by just replacing the bulbs does not make that the correct or right thing to do. You might take the position that it is the other drivers problem, but you will be sadly mistaken if one of those drivers is blinded and hits you. Will this happen? Maybe not, but there is no question that this less expensive setup will be at least an irritation to all traffic around you, oncoming and as well as those traveling in the same direction.

Can all of us afford the projector retrofit? Definitely not. It is not inexpensive, but that does not make it any more correct to justify a cheaper install.

If your going to go down the HID road, please do it the right way or not at all. Just my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by MAH:
lewis26 (01-02-2014), MixMastaMM (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by LA4x492
Also, on another note, I'd like to mention they aren't illegal being used in the day, even if cloudy or darkened a bit(if anyone already knows, or before someone say something) because they are/would be used as looks and not a direct light source to help me see or drive better. So a cop isn't really going to give me a ticket about it, espescially when there are so many people around here that have them.
Oh really?

Do you have a source for that?

Blinding light is illegal no matter what time of day it is.

It isn't about YOU being able to see, it's about your ILLEGAL lights blinding oncoming traffic, and them not being able to see.

Quick Reply: Retro-Systems HID kit #new