Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

RECON 60" "Xtreme" Scanning Amber, White, & Red LED Tailgate Bar Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default RECON 60" "Xtreme" Scanning Amber, White, & Red LED Tailgate Bar Malfunction

Well, I am hoping someone out there can help me as RECON has proven to have a useless customer service. So back in February I purchased the RECON 60" "Xtreme" Scanning Amber, White, & Red LED Tailgate Bar. I liked the idea of the scanning turn signals. Just before the holidays I took my truck to get washed, when the carwash people drove out to the drying area I noticed the brake lights were not working, in fact the left turn signal flashed on bar when the brakes were applied. So when I got home I checked all the wiring to see if something came loose or broke. Everything was OK with the wiring. I changed some the connections around to see if there was anything going on with the trailer harness that I hard wired the bar into. The harness wiring works as it should. So, I move on to contact RECON. I use email when ever I talk to customer service people, 1 I hate trying to talk to anyone that barely speaks English, and 2 to create a record of what they tell me. I ask if there is anything that else they may know of that I can check or do to get it working again. I don't get a response for two days, which I figure is not a huge deal as it is the holidays. When I do get a response, the guy asks for pictures. I take pictures (it is very hard to get a digital camera to catch the turn signals). Again no response for two days. I send the pictures again with a read receipt attached. The next response asked if I purchased form RECON (which I did). I send the email purchase receipt to save from them wasting more of my time asking for that. I have gone now over two weeks now and they have not even told me to go myself, or offered any help. I may be ranting a little here but I am pretty angry that this company says they have the highest quality and longest lasting products "Guaranteed" and they are unwilling to help a paying customer.

So, after my rant does anyone have any clue what I might do to salvage the money I have spent on this bar and get it functioning again? The marker lights, reverse lights, and left turn signal work fine. it has lost the right turn signal, the left turn signal flashes when the brakes are applied and the left turn signal runs with the hazards lights. all wiring is intact, and the current is going to the right places at the right time in the trailer harness on the truck. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Recon is a yankee company, I doubt they have an overseas office. Call them.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by aklisavage
I may be ranting a little here but I am pretty angry that this company says they have the highest quality and longest lasting products "Guaranteed" and they are unwilling to help a paying customer.
By "Guaranteed" you mean 90 days. That's all the warranty they give for their products. My Xtreme light bar just gave out on me after several sub-zero days. If your product is over the 90 days don't hold your breath they will be non-responsive a Google search of this will validate what I'm saying cut your losses and move on IMO. People will sing their praise (the ones that have had no problems with their products) but many others not so much. I'm done with their junk.

Originally Posted by Reatki
Recon is a yankee company, I doubt they have an overseas office. Call them.
American company but all their products are made overseas with hit and miss quality assurance.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Obviously they're made overseas, my point was clearly that if email correspondence isn't working in a timely fashion - call them.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

You checked where you terminated all of your wires at the trailer harness and didn't find any problems so the trouble is on the other end within the light bar. I'd give them a call and if there isn't quick resolution, cut your losses. As someone else already said, you're probably out of warranty.
The following users liked this post:
aklisavage (01-10-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts

Wow, another RECON product problem. Color me not surprised.

I went with and highly recommend the Custom Dynamics bar - insanely bright, and with a lifetime warranty. Simple action - only brake and turn signals, but very happy so far.
The following users liked this post:
aklisavage (01-10-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by benchwarmer4203
As someone else already said, you're probably out of warranty.
He is out of warranty. The OP has one post I doubt he'll be back here.

"Any RECON products that are found to be defective in either material or craftsmanship will be covered under our Warranty as stated below. Lighting items that require electrical 12-volt power during operation are covered for a period of 90 days following the original purchase date. All warranty claims must be accompanied by a completed RECON Warranty Return Authorization Sheet (found at the bottom of the "DOWNLOADS" section of our website) & the original proof of purchase (a customers first & last name along with their order # must be legible on the proof of purchase documentation). To initiate this process, this information must be sent via email to warranties@GoRECON.com."

Source:
http://www.gorecon.com/customer_serv...cle.php?csak=9
Old 01-10-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Azuri
The OP has one post I doubt he'll be back here.

Boy that is nice. I bet you started with one post at some time. Seems rather harsh to assume that just because I am new I am flighty.

Well, thank you to all that have looked at this. Yes I know I am out of Warranty. That is why I am looking for an solution that others may have. As far as giving them a call, if they cannot be bothered to respond to emails (in which all I did was ask for any idea of how to fix it) I highly doubt whoever they have answering the phone will be any more helpful. My plan right now it to disconnect the turn signal wires. The marker lights and reverse lights sill work. I am not in a hurry to spend more money on another bar that may just fail as well. This way it is not a complete waste. Now RECON is on my no good list based more on the lack of customer service. Their other products may be great, but I am not going to test it out. Again thank you everyone, and anyone else who may have an idea that may work.

Last edited by aklisavage; 01-10-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by aklisavage
Boy that is nice. I bet you started with one post at some time. Seems rather harsh to assume that just because I am new I am flighty.
Sorry, my bad. Seen so many post and runs before.

Ironically mine just started fully working again we were in a huge deep freeze and now that it's warmed up it started working again. I guess this light bar doesn't like the polar vortex weather.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Azuri
Ironically mine just started fully working again we were in a huge deep freeze and now that it's warmed up it started working again. I guess this light bar doesn't like the polar vortex weather.

I wish that would be the case with mine. But I'm afraid that weather is not a factor I can point at.

Quick Reply: RECON 60" "Xtreme" Scanning Amber, White, & Red LED Tailgate Bar Malfunction