Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Recessed lighting in the bumper pads??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Recessed lighting in the bumper pads??

i recently bought a 2013 FX4. ive always wanted to install some external lighting (rigid, KC, etc) but i dont want to add an extra push bar/bull bar type bumper or have lights protruding from the front of my truck. i thought about installing them in the bumper "hole" but leaning towards another location....the bumper pads.
for those of you who have delt with the removal of the pads and the structure (bumper) behind them, what do you forsee as being a problem with mounting a set of flush mounted rigid type lights in the pads? i havent had time to start tearing apart just yet but wanted some advise before i get started. im thinking i might have to cut some of the bumber to recess the light housing but not sure if that would compromise the structural integrity of the bumper. if it gets too involved im just gonna scrap the idea, i dont wanna chop up my new truck too much. any thoughts or recomendations?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:22 PM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

well they won't face directly forward, since the bumper pads are at an angle
Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by lewis26
well they won't face directly forward, since the bumper pads are at an angle
i was hoping the diffused or flood light would cover the angle problem. i also seen a website that sells "adapters" that correct the angle difference.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by smencinias
i was hoping the diffused or flood light would cover the angle problem. i also seen a website that sells "adapters" that correct the angle difference.
a flood light might work.

I think the adapter would look terrible and worse than just putting in the intercooler cutout.

You can also pretty easily put pods behind the grill
Old 04-24-2014, 02:36 PM

i guess my original question isnt "will the lights look good?" but rather, whats behind the pad and can i cut it without affecting anything important?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Had mine installed in the front bumper. 20" fits perfect. Did have to purchase and trim the ecoboost bumper pads to still maintain the license plate. Not sure if this helps at all. But it's all metal behind the bumper pads so it could be done with some cutting.
Attached Thumbnails Recessed lighting in the bumper pads??-image-2785493037.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by texasfx2
Had mine installed in the front bumper. 20" fits perfect. Did have to purchase and trim the ecoboost bumper pads to still maintain the license plate. Not sure if this helps at all. But it's all metal behind the bumper pads so it could be done with some cutting.
ya, i did some poking around yesterday. think i may just have to do the bumper hole install. looks like too much metal to cut.

Quick Reply: Recessed lighting in the bumper pads??