Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Rear tail gate LED light bar problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear tail gate LED light bar problem

I have a 2015 F150 Lariat with Led lights. I am trying to add a rear light bar but if i plug into the trailer connection it disables the rear blis and says a trailer is connected. I looked into taping into the rear lights but they are led and not sure if or where to tap into them. Any ideas?

Todd
The following users liked this post:
ondo31 (07-25-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tlangdon
I have a 2015 F150 Lariat with Led lights. I am trying to add a rear light bar but if i plug into the trailer connection it disables the rear blis and says a trailer is connected. I looked into taping into the rear lights but they are led and not sure if or where to tap into them. Any ideas?

Todd
Hey Todd...Tap into you tail lights, if you pull the tail lights out you can test at LED connection with a light circuit tester for the different functions, LED wiring is like 18 guage so you should be prepared to solder into the truck harness and use good adhesive shrink tubing to ensure corrosion and moisture stays out (I put Grote dielectric grease in the shrink tube before heating). Tap everything into the driver side as it is closest to the light bar wiring except the opposite tail light turn signal, and plan your wire routing before you start. This will bypass the BLIS and trailer hook-up issues you are having....take your time and good luck.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Get a relay harness and run it straight from your battery to the lights with a switch that is what I have on mine so that you have the option to engage it when you want and you're not blinding everyone when you put it in reverse I believe that is your best option I have two seven inch LED set up in the back end of my truck all my LED bars are hooked up with relay harness. My front light bar is hooked up to a wireless relay harness as well as a button to it with a strobe light function

Old 06-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Do it the right way the first time, unlike me who had to go and undo what he did prior to do it right the second time.

The first time I ran lightbars off the reverse lamp wiring. It worked but it worked 100% of the time and screwed with the reverse sensors.

This time I went through and used a relay, a SPDT switch and ran three wires from the cab to the back, one wire from the engine bay into the cab, and then wired everything up in the back.

Now I can turn on the lights when I want, leave them off all the time, or leave them to turn on only when I shift into reverse.

If you want an easy to understand diagram, I can get you one, but it's dead easy. The longest part, for me, was running the wiring, the rest was cake.
Attached Thumbnails Rear tail gate LED light bar problem-20160612_180515.jpg   Rear tail gate LED light bar problem-20160612_215918.jpg   Rear tail gate LED light bar problem-20160612_215929.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tlangdon, I have the same issue as you do. I have a 2015 f150 and it disabled the rear parking aid. What did you do to correct it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, John.

Quick Reply: Rear tail gate LED light bar problem