Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Questions: My DIY HID retrofit project on '11 FX4 SCREW

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Question Questions: My DIY HID retrofit project on '11 FX4 SCREW

Hey guys. I have a 2011 SCREW FX4, lux package, Sterling Gray sitting in my garage with 8,000 miles. Despite being 4yrs old, the truck is only just now getting broken in -- and is in showroom condition (it's been, and is, my baby, and I rarely drive it).

Like so many folks here, I'm fed up with the lackluster lighting performance from the OEM halogen headlights. While I have two Lightforce 140s and a Rigid LED bar mounted on a lightbar upfront, which I use to light up the night on our deer-infested Virginia back roads, I have decided to embark upon a DIY project to update my headlights with HID projectors, legally and "the right way."

Many kudos to Bil, Tuxedo and Snake for pioneering and documenting many, many awesome retrofits! You have inspired me to go for it, myself. I tend to be OCD and "****," and appreciate the meticulousness with which you guys build your retros.

Here's what I've ordered from TRS (a kit package):
-Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 projectors;
-Morimoto XB35 ballasts;
-Morimoto XB Igniters (AMP);
-XB 4500K bulbs;
-MotoControl H13/9008 harness; and
-Panamera shrouds.

I plan to use my current stock FX4 headlamps, as they are in perfect condition. I hope to paint my reflector buckets Sterling Gray, and I hope to lightly smoke out my amber side reflectors.

Here are my initial questions (thanks in advance if you can help me with any of them):

1. Once I disassemble my OEM lights, are there any tips, or solvents, recommended for removing all of the factory perma seal from the joints?

2. Would Dupli-Color be recommended for painting my reflector buckets Sterling Gray and my projector shrouds Gloss Black? May I safely paint OVER the existing chrome on the buckets and shrouds, or should I strip everything?

3. Projector shrouds -- I am uncertain whether or not I made a good choice with the Panamera shrouds... Is there a particular style that is known to be the "easiest" to mod for the F150 halogen reflector buckets? I figured the Panameras would be deeper than others, avoiding the need for fabricating shroud extensions... But, I'm not sure whether or not this is correct. Do any of you guys sell any shrouds that are already modded to marry up with the F150 halogen buckets? Surely someone has already made a template.

4. I'd like to "smoke" the big amber side reflectors... Thinking back to my days of building custom R/C cars, I figured I likely could use something such as a can of Tamiya PS-31 Smoke to achieve good results. Has anyone gone this route, or should I just take the sides to a local tint shop?

5. Lastly, I can't make up my mind as to whether or not to add XSB LED halos to the retrofit. To date, I've not ordered any... Not sure whether a front mount vs behind-shroud mount would be the best, and not sure if I really even need any... They of course would be purely "bling," but I don't know whether they would help or hinder eventual resale -- and in any event, I don't think I want to have to take apart the lamps in the event of a future problem with them. Thoughts?

Thank you SO, SO MUCH for your advice and thoughts!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been researching retrofits for a couple days now. I am pretty mechanically inclined and for the money I think I am going to give this a wing on my 11 vx4. 400 is way more justifiable than over a grand for oeM hid. Hoping to see a deal pop up somewhere.

I was about to start a new thread to ask this but found this one so I figured I would just revive it rather than flood the forum. It seems the mini d2s and fxr is the two most common. My question is, has anyone done a good straight forward write up on these for our 09-14 trucks? I have found and read over 100 forum topics that all begin with a offering of making a good write up but the write up never comes, or the thread goes a little haywire and the how to becomes hard to follow . I have found a few for 08 and under trucks but our light body is too different to go off that.

Thank you much for anyone who can guide us newbs to the DIY guide.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:49 AM
Boost Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's one started awhile ago https://www.f150forum.com/f38/retrof...-about-202019/
Old 10-03-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricer X
That should get me started, thank you.

Quick Reply: Questions: My DIY HID retrofit project on '11 FX4 SCREW