Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Projector Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Salty Dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Projector Headlights

Hey ya'll,

Ok, so I said I was going to post pics of my FX4, along with the mods i've done and the projector headlights. So I'll start with the headlights and work my way from there.

First off, I got my headlamps on E-bay. The seller that I got them from is "m1performance". The shipping on the headlight fixtures was WELL packaged and handled with care. NO damage was on these things when I got them, and they were in a brand new box. Below is the link for the seller.

http://stores.ebay.com/M1performance

Now to the main part. Overall, I think the lights preform well but there are conditions to this summary. You'll understand as this thread progresses. Below you will see multiple pics. First set is of the headlamps during the day so you can see how they'd look. (I'll continue as I post).
Attached Images       

Last edited by johnnyboy; 06-27-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Salty Dog

This second set is of the lamps light up at night.
Attached Images       

Last edited by johnnyboy; 06-27-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Those look good!

Hows the light output?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Salty Dog

Ok. So now you got the idea of how they look, right? I think they look good, otherwise I wouldn't have kept them as long as I have. The major problem that I noticed with the lights is that they have a half cut design in the projector fixture that prevents half of the light from your headlamp from shining through. This is something that annonyed the **** out of me right from the start, but is not a killer for the lights.

For starters, the headlights are fully adjustable, so you can tinker and toy with them to get the beams as high as you want them to go, but they have a horizontal cutoff point, (B/C of the inner half cut design I was talking about) which actualy is a curse and a blessing in one. A curse b/c for those of you who love to have your lights shining in others mirrors, it limits that, but a blessing if your trying to calibrate the lights to shine evenly at the same height.

At anyrate, the second important note to point out is that right from the start, standard OEM stock light bulbs will look DIM at best in these headlamps. (Or any other projectors I'm sure.) However, what I did to remedy this problem is get Silverstar light bulbs that have MUCH more illumination to them.

As far as the driveablity with them, after you get them calibrated to the height you want, and get some brighter bulbs in the SOB's, they work good, but NOT great. There's one more factor that needs to be noted. If your F-150 doesn't have fog lamps, you REALLY shouldn't get these lights!!!!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! Reason being is as follows.

The first pic you see is of my street, dark w/ no headlamps. (All pics from this point forward was taken w/ me standing in the bed of the pickup.)
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Salty Dog

Deleted

Last edited by johnnyboy; 06-27-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Salty Dog

Ok, now here's a pic of just the headlights, no fog lamps. They do an fair job of lighting the street dead ahead, notice the stop sign WELL light by the lights and it's about 50-60 yrds I'd say...
Attached Images    
Old 06-27-2007, 11:21 PM

Seems like the do OK.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Salty Dog

Now here's the Biggie. The headlamps AND fog lights! DRAMATIC difference in immediate viewing area. This would be ESSENTIAL for night driving so you can ACTUALLY see to the sides of your vehicle. (Ya know, incase a kid runs OUT infront of your pickup! Or a dog.... Or a deer.... Etc..)
Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Salty Dog

So as you can see, forward balance in the lighting is offset BAD with these projector headlamps and I've got the feeling I'm not the only one with this case. Unless you got OEM projectors (Like the kind that come stock on some Euro trash vehicles) then odds are you're going to be dealing with this problem. So my advice is, if you want projectors, and you've got the $$$ for the Silverstar bulbs, and you ALSO have foglights on your pickup, go for it! If not, better look into something else, otherwise you might find yourself in a bind by hitting something you didn't want to.

Last thing of note, below is a pic of how the headlamps have the cutoff that I was talking about, by this you can easily see what I mean by it being both a blessing, and a pain in the ***. Your call.

Let me know what ya'll think and if you have any other ???'s.

Out.
~Johnnyboy
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 PM

I'd put some HID's in those bad boys.

Quick Reply: Projector Headlights