Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

projector beams (recommendations?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default projector beams (recommendations?)

hi, new member (longtime F150 owner) The rig in my avatar is what I'm inquiring about (my shadow gray, '05 Fx4)...The only modifications to the truck have been the black brush guard. I was considering getting a set of after-market projector beams though and would be interested to hear some recommendations if anybody has any.

I'm not familiar whatsoever with the projector beam after-market really. Guess I'm curious as to which is the best quality, best fit OEM replacement, and best looking which of course is preference. Thanks.

Last edited by nwfx; 06-13-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 AM

Do you have or will you be installing HID's? If so I would not recommend projectors cause you will lose a lot of their brightness. But if your looking for some nice aftermarket projector headlights check out Spyder.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to use HID's I'd retrofit actual projectors from another car into them. It's a time consuming process but the results come out great. Normal headlights with HIDs scatter the light too much and it's hard to aim them while retrofitting leaves a nice clean line like OEM HIDs would have.

(Credit to R3dFyre02 at ModdedMustangs)

Here are stock headlights with HIDs, notice the blurred line. Blinds oncoming drivers and is hard to aim

Aftermarket projectors with HIDs (notice some light still escapes high)

Now retrofitted stock lights

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-easy-way.html
Here's the writeup if you're interested, it's for mustang headlights so it isn't step for step the same as our trucks but if you're adventurous you'll be able to figure it out . A stock OEM style headlight can be found cheap on ebay, and while you'll end up paying more in the long run than with aftermarket projectors, you'll be happy with the results
Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Eat. Sleep. Lift.

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Those aftermarket projectors look fine, esp since they are PnP lol
Old 06-13-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by amick218
Those aftermarket projectors look fine, esp since they are PnP lol
The pictures are hard to compare because they're at different distances, but the aftermarket ones will only scatter light further the longer away from the wall they are. And you have to be careful with aftermarket projectors too, some of the cheap ones don't hold up to the heat from the HID's to well (I know they don't in Mustangs at least) and can melt a little over time

I haven't personally ripped into a pair of headlights and probably wont, because normal headlights with good bulbs work fine for me lol
Old 06-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Eat. Sleep. Lift.

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Reeds FX4

The pictures are hard to compare because they're at different distances, but the aftermarket ones will only scatter light further the longer away from the wall they are. And you have to be careful with aftermarket projectors too, some of the cheap ones don't hold up to the heat from the HID's to well (I know they don't in Mustangs at least) and can melt a little over time

I haven't personally ripped into a pair of headlights and probably wont, because normal headlights with good bulbs work fine for me lol
Yeah I have 8000k in the stock housing, works for me. Lol I have them pointed down I've never been flashed. I really just like the look of the ultra white.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 AM

great info, thank you. Now I'm a little on the fence as far as projectors go (especially after-market units) Last thing I would want to do is install junk for the sake of cosmetic enhancement.

I have just glossed over the step by step link which looks to amount to heating some OEM lenses in order to pry apart and swapping the internals. I also like what the guy did with the semi-gloss black over the reflective silver (I think the reflective silver looks cheap).

Also Reeds, if that's you in your avatar, we essentially have the same truck (shadow gray) I have the crew cab along with factory tint, the black brush guard really looks great on the truck (I would highly recommend it) Although again, I think the chrome brush guard would be just too gaudy. I think the brush guard combined with some ad hoc projectors like what is listed in that link might look really nice. Anybody follow that procedure for their truck? I'm curious to see some examples honestly of projectors in general, because I never see any examples on F150s with projectors on the street...

Thanks again.

Last edited by nwfx; 06-14-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by nwfx
great info, thank you. Now I'm a little on the fence as far as projectors go (especially after-market units) Last thing I would want to do is install junk for the sake of cosmetic enhancement.

I have just glossed over the step by step link which looks to amount to heating some OEM lenses in order to pry apart and swapping the internals. I also like what the guy did with the semi-gloss black over the reflective silver (I think the reflective silver looks cheap).

Also Reeds, if that's you in your avatar, we essentially have the same truck (shadow gray) I have the crew cab along with factory tint, the black brush guard really looks great on the truck (I would highly recommend it) Although again, I think the chrome brush guard would be just too gaudy. I think the brush guard combined with some ad hoc projectors like what is listed in that link might look really nice. Anybody follow that procedure for their truck? I'm curious to see some examples honestly of projectors in general, because I never see any examples on F150s with projectors on the street...

Thanks again.
It is my truck I'm new to the truck world so I think I'm getting power coated accessories, and I'm sticking to just nerf bars now. Maybe a bully bar later on. If you attempt the projector project take some pic of the process, I'm sure the guys on here would love to have a guide to doing it
Old 06-16-2012, 03:42 AM

Received 82 Likes on 81 Posts

There a guy on here that sells retrofited stock f150 lights, price is 499. That's including everything. Brand new head lights and projectors along with the hid kit and harness
Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by nickpatton_189
There a guy on here that sells retrofited stock f150 lights, price is 499. That's including everything. Brand new head lights and projectors along with the hid kit and harness
I wonder how that works when you need to adjust the beams because I think you can only mess with the height of the lights when you install the projectors...I dont believe you can use the stock bolt to adjust the beam..hmm. Maybe I am wrong and they can be adjusted after you put the lens back on but for some reason I am thinking otherwise. That would suck if you get them made for a stock height truck and you got a 6" lift..haha.

Quick Reply: projector beams (recommendations?)