Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Philips vs Putco ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Philips vs Putco ?

2015 with standard halogen h11 bulbs. After reading forever and going back and forth between LED and HID, I've decided just to do the H9 upgrade on the lows, 9011 on the highs and 9005 on fogs.

I was thinking of going with the Putco 4000k mirror white but don't see much info on them.

Would I be better off just going with the Philips or Sylvania or is Putco pretty good with their halogens ?

I do plan on getting the tailgate bar though.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 892 Likes on 584 Posts

Ive used Philips and Sylvania halogen bulbs on other cars. I never had a problem with either. Everyone says the silverstars dont last long, but I they lasted for me. I think the Philips I had were better and cheaper than Sylvania though, I just dont remember the exact ones they were. Never had Putco, so I have no idea on those.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

I would not waste your money on Putco. I mean I sell Putco but I'm not happy with what I've seen on their LED side. For example, they sell those LED Headlight bulbs and charge a fortune, when they are just cheap $40 style bulbs you can get on amazon. Really just marketing. Adding more $$ for their name.

I'd imagine they do the same on their Halogen side.

Philips however has been in the industry for a long time and does not play that "pay more for my name" game. They do a little but not like Putco is doing.

I'd stick with Philips or Sylvania for Halogens.

NOW.. be mindful of the wattage you buy. Don't go and buy a pair that is double the wattage of your old bulbs without buying a new harness. The vehicle wiring MIGHT not be able to handle the extra wattage the bulbs cal for, and you'll have issues with your harness. My old 2002 Frontier started smoking/wires melting from using bulbs that needed more wattage.

They sell relay harness kits that you connect to your battery and then to your stock wiring and then the bulb to prevent this.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:22 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

For halogen, stick with Philips, Sylvania is garbage.
The following users liked this post:
Slimchachachi (05-10-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Summers22
For halogen, stick with Philips, Sylvania is garbage.
Too late.....I'll find out tonight, already put the Sylvania's in since that is all my local stores had. If I'm not satisfied, I'll order the Philips online.

I really want to go LED, but just not sure yet. I saw online that they are really bright up close, but their throw is not as far as halogen. I drive about 15 miles daily on back roads with deer galore so I need as much light as I can get.

Also, I know Sylvania/Osram are the same and these are stamped Osram on the plug if that makes a difference.

Last edited by reaper7534; 05-08-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
I would not waste your money on Putco. I mean I sell Putco but I'm not happy with what I've seen on their LED side. For example, they sell those LED Headlight bulbs and charge a fortune, when they are just cheap $40 style bulbs you can get on amazon. Really just marketing. Adding more $$ for their name.

I'd imagine they do the same on their Halogen side.

Philips however has been in the industry for a long time and does not play that "pay more for my name" game. They do a little but not like Putco is doing.

I'd stick with Philips or Sylvania for Halogens.

NOW.. be mindful of the wattage you buy. Don't go and buy a pair that is double the wattage of your old bulbs without buying a new harness. The vehicle wiring MIGHT not be able to handle the extra wattage the bulbs cal for, and you'll have issues with your harness. My old 2002 Frontier started smoking/wires melting from using bulbs that needed more wattage.

They sell relay harness kits that you connect to your battery and then to your stock wiring and then the bulb to prevent this.
Thanks for the info, I'm only going from 55w to 65w so my wiring should be safe assuming that Ford is already using the same gauge wiring for highs and lows.

I may try your leds in the future and was wondering if your still including the dust boot with you low beam kits ?
Old 05-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by reaper7534
Too late.....I'll find out tonight, already put the Sylvania's in since that is all my local stores had. If I'm not satisfied, I'll order the Philips online.

I really want to go LED, but just not sure yet. I saw online that they are really bright up close, but their throw is not as far as halogen. I drive about 15 miles daily on back roads with deer galore so I need as much light as I can get.

Also, I know Sylvania/Osram are the same and these are stamped Osram on the plug if that makes a difference.

What year is your truck? I can tell you in the 15/16 trucks the LED kits I sell (which are better then the cheaper ones you'll see on Amazon) work EXTREMELY WELL and from what I'm told on the earlier trucks they work very well also.

The 15/16 housing is a much better design so they really work well. The older housings are your pretty generic housings but the LED's work well in them too. Luckily those earlir trucks use the H13 bulb and on my H13 bulbs there is a beam redirector so that helps with your cut-off... the 15/16 use an H11 and 9005 for the beams, so two different kinds of bulbs, but the housing is different.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
What year is your truck? I can tell you in the 15/16 trucks the LED kits I sell (which are better then the cheaper ones you'll see on Amazon) work EXTREMELY WELL and from what I'm told on the earlier trucks they work very well also.

The 15/16 housing is a much better design so they really work well. The older housings are your pretty generic housings but the LED's work well in them too. Luckily those earlir trucks use the H13 bulb and on my H13 bulbs there is a beam redirector so that helps with your cut-off... the 15/16 use an H11 and 9005 for the beams, so two different kinds of bulbs, but the housing is different.
I have a 15 and my brother has a 16. He wants to order some led so im going to have him try yours and ill follow suit if I like them.

On that note, om pretty happy with the h9 conversion, but would like the more white look of led/hid
Old 05-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Banned

On the 15's and 16's the LED's work great. I'm TOLD earlir trucks they work well on. I put them on a '15 JK last week but I've yet to see it at night, but I have a feeling that's a poor housing for LED's or HID's since it's a circle... which may not be the best option. I know on the earlier F150's it's more boxy, which helps with cut-offs (and the H13 bulb helps).

I have to look at his truck. But yeah oin the 15' and '16 you are good, they work amazing.

If you go for the regular halogen let us know how they work out. I know some guys still have an interest in halogen and would love a review of "ole faithful" just be careful with the wattage as I stated, you don't want to ruin the wiring.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 PM

Stick with Philips lighting. Another is Recon lights, not that expensive, but good quality.

Last edited by commonface; 05-12-2016 at 01:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Philips vs Putco ?