Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Overhead console wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overhead console wiring

Let me start off by saying I am not the greatest at automotive wiring. I can wire up a car stereo and sound system no problem. When it comes to taping into existing wiring and the proper methods to follow I am rather lacking.

So I installed an overhead console in my 08 Screw and I retrofitted the map lights from my old overhead to fit in the rear seat are ( see pictures). The console i purchased on ebay had a wiring harness I wont be using completely as my truck didn't need it. The question I have is; my newly installed rear map lights have the same wiring plus and connections as those already installed in the front. Is it possible to wire in the new harness to the old? Can i just tap the new wires into the pre-existing harness already in my truck? Do i need any fusing? I just don't want to overload the existing harness. So any insiight would be much appreciate.

Overhead console wiring-overhead-2.jpg

This is the overhead prior to retro fitting the map lights

Overhead console wiring-map-light.jpg

This is the retrofit map lights

Overhead console wiring-harness.jpg

This is the unused harness that plugs into the retrofitted map light.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I did something similar to my supercab

I added the left dome light, as my supercab only came with 1 dome

I just spliced into the existing harness with the new harness. Now I did switch to LEDs and they will draw less power however I see no problem with standard incandescent bulbs. The wiring is far more than needed for the voltage being pulled for the dome lights. Even with all 6! of my lights on it still didn't seem to have an issue for me.

I don't see an issue for yours

-Eric
Old 07-22-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EricTheMarine
I did something similar to my supercab

I added the left dome light, as my supercab only came with 1 dome

I just spliced into the existing harness with the new harness. Now I did switch to LEDs and they will draw less power however I see no problem with standard incandescent bulbs. The wiring is far more than needed for the voltage being pulled for the dome lights. Even with all 6! of my lights on it still didn't seem to have an issue for me.

I don't see an issue for yours

-Eric
Very much appreciate the insight. I'm going to give it a try to wire it up tomorrow afternoon.

Quick Reply: Overhead console wiring