Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Off road lighting

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 09:06 PM
God is good

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Off road lighting

Hey guys,
I'm currently in the market for some off-road lights like rigid dually/D2 and Baja design squadron pro. I currently have a 35W 5500K FX-R retrofit kit so I have some bright headlights. I just get kinda disappointed when I flip my brights on and it's a narrow spot beam that really doesn't light up the distant road well, or the sides of the road. I live in the country in texas so it's pretty wide open spaces out here. I understand getting a 50" bar would probably fix all my problems but I'm not into the flashy (and kinda ugly) setup of the 50" bars on the windshield. I'm really just wanting a 20" bar or some setup of cubes in my inter cooler space by the license plate. I want to go for the less flashy, hidden power look. I've seen pics of people mounting D2s behind the billet grill of the fx4 and I think that would be good if you can actually get light output. I can't afford the $1000 lights and I've really been sticking to the $300 or so range as my max. I know I could get cheaper HID or halogen, but I need the quick time of led/halogen. Any output shots would be much appreciated, as well as any advice y'all can give me. Thank you!!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

If you want distance, I would stay away from mounting cubes by the license plate. That's too low to be effective in my opinion. I have the XLT C-clamp grille and used to have a 30" combo bar but now have a pair of Rigid Dually Hyperspots there. They are great for distance but are a spot pattern. If you want distance and spread, you could do 2 pairs of hyperspots or something like their RDS bar (both options would destroy your budget). If you do go for a cheaper 20" bar, be aware that you'll get a lot of light but it won't be focused for distance. That's why I got rid of my 30" combo bar.
The following users liked this post:
lramirez626 (02-14-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I have D2 cubes I just mounted behind the FX4 C-clamp grille. I haven't taken any pictures of it but can tonight.
I went with the "driving" light pattern and noticed a difference with my HIDs, and I compared the light output with the hood up and the hood closed and didn't notice much of any light output change. I would however say if you want to hit the periphery you would want to angle them out instead of straight on.
I'll update back with some pictures this weekend and you can see if that's an option you want to try.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:13 AM
God is good

Thank y'all for the quick responses! Pugga, would you be able to take some pics of those spot beams? The dually's are a lot cheaper than D2 but it'll be good if I can see pics from both of y'all. For all I know, the spot could be too focused for me or exactly what I'm looking for.
Because of how open the space is here, it seems like turning my brights on makes my lights look dimmer. Really weird.
Anyway, looking forward to seeing some output shots from y'all and anyone else who jumps on the thread
Old 01-30-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by SnowDawg
I have D2 cubes I just mounted behind the FX4 C-clamp grille. I haven't taken any pictures of it but can tonight.
I went with the "driving" light pattern and noticed a difference with my HIDs, and I compared the light output with the hood up and the hood closed and didn't notice much of any light output change. I would however say if you want to hit the periphery you would want to angle them out instead of straight on.
I'll update back with some pictures this weekend and you can see if that's an option you want to try.
How'd you mount yours? I just drilled a hole in the vertical piece that's attached to the hood, just behind the grille. I wanted to get them as close to the grille as possible, it sounds like yours are mounted to something further back and stationary (mine go up and down with the hood).

Blackbuster, I'll try to get some night shots tonight.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:35 AM
God is good

Thanks pugga. I guess another question would be, are they worth it? It's hard to tell in pictures how bright lights truly are, but would I be better just waiting until I can afford some bigger/brighter lights? I'll have to see yalls pictures to get another look, because I can potentially afford 2 pairs of dually hyper spot, or just one pair of D2. These lights wouldn't be for lighting the ground, it would definitely be for side to side and distance lighting. My headlights/fog lights already give me a butt load of light on the road. I just need to see a little farther down range and definitely a little higher on the sides
Old 01-30-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Blackbuster11
Thanks pugga. I guess another question would be, are they worth it? It's hard to tell in pictures how bright lights truly are, but would I be better just waiting until I can afford some bigger/brighter lights? I'll have to see yalls pictures to get another look, because I can potentially afford 2 pairs of dually hyper spot, or just one pair of D2. These lights wouldn't be for lighting the ground, it would definitely be for side to side and distance lighting. My headlights/fog lights already give me a butt load of light on the road. I just need to see a little farther down range and definitely a little higher on the sides
For me, it was worth it. I had the 30" bar and while it was ridiculously bright, it didn't put the light where I wanted it. It did throw a lot of light down the road, but because the outside of the bar was flood LEDs, it put a lot of light scattered right in front of the truck also. The hyperspots put a nice, tight pattern as far as I can see. At distance, it lights up about 4 lanes wide. I could widen them up and get a little dark spot in the middle but I like the way they're aimed for my use.

The hyperspot is the Dually D2, so it's a bit more expensive than the regular dually, even though it only has 4 LEDs. This isn't my video but this is one that helped me make my decision. The video shows what just one light throws out. It's pretty accurate also, it really is that nice, tight beam pattern, almost no light scatter.

Trending Topics

Old 01-30-2016, 12:20 PM
God is good

Originally Posted by Pugga
For me, it was worth it. I had the 30" bar and while it was ridiculously bright, it didn't put the light where I wanted it. It did throw a lot of light down the road, but because the outside of the bar was flood LEDs, it put a lot of light scattered right in front of the truck also. The hyperspots put a nice, tight pattern as far as I can see. At distance, it lights up about 4 lanes wide. I could widen them up and get a little dark spot in the middle but I like the way they're aimed for my use.

The hyperspot is the Dually D2, so it's a bit more expensive than the regular dually, even though it only has 4 LEDs. This isn't my video but this is one that helped me make my decision. The video shows what just one light throws out. It's pretty accurate also, it really is that nice, tight beam pattern, almost no light scatter.
Rigid Industries D2 Dually LED Hyperspot - Snake Racing - YouTube

I've got the idea of maybe getting 2 pairs of the dually spot beam. I could have 4 spot lights for the price of 2 D2 and would probably meet my needs. I don't need the tightest beam pattern so if I could around all 4 lights to spread out in a nice even pattern then I think that would be the best combo of distance and light. Still want to see what yalls pictures Look like tonight.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:55 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugga
How'd you mount yours? I just drilled a hole in the vertical piece that's attached to the hood, just behind the grille. I wanted to get them as close to the grille as possible, it sounds like yours are mounted to something further back and stationary (mine go up and down with the hood).

Blackbuster, I'll try to get some night shots tonight.

Mounting bar

Amber floods on lower, D2 driving upper

Ta Da

Here's my setup. I was experimenting and this is what I came up with. I managed to mount everything without drilling any holes so I'm pretty happy with the result. If they were more centered then I could angle them towards the periphery a tad more, but I'd have to drill then. The light output is pretty substantial over the HIDs so I'm going happy.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:16 PM
God is good

Originally Posted by SnowDawg

Mounting bar

Amber floods on lower, D2 driving upper

Ta Da

Here's my setup. I was experimenting and this is what I came up with. I managed to mount everything without drilling any holes so I'm pretty happy with the result. If they were more centered then I could angle them towards the periphery a tad more, but I'd have to drill then. The light output is pretty substantial over the HIDs so I'm going happy.
that is a BADA** setup. Love the truck and look of that front end! I wish I could do that with mine but I told y'all the wrong grille. I have the one with a ton of lines in front. It came with the truck and I'm assuming it's the "upper trim" grille but it's just annoying with me wanting to put light upgrades. Might look at getting the one you have. Love how you didn't have to drill. So your D2 driving is a substantial upgrade over your HID? Do you have any night pics? Would love to see a high quality pic of the HIDs and the D2.

Quick Reply: Off road lighting